Husky 357 xpg wont run

pyro

Hey guys and gals, hope all is well!

I gave my saw a good service last night, cleaned out, sharpened, washed filters etc, and got her going last night for a few minutes idling just to check it was all ok for today garden jobs.

But!.....

Went to start it today, put fresh (been mixed about a week) fuel and chain oil in, and she will only run for about 2 seconds before it dies off. Ive tried it many times and its a no go! ive re-gapped the spark plug, and made sure everything was where it should be.

Any ideas? It sounds like its not fueling properly, but its bugging me as it ran fine the other night!

Whilst i generally enjoy physical work I dont fancy taking a hedge out with a bowsaw!

thanks

Ben

In simple terms - check the spark by removing it and puting the cap back on and then pull the saw over with it pressed on the cylinder AWAY FROM THE PLUG HOLE - I have had spectacular flames expelled off saws in the past:blushing:

If the spark is there, is it wet? Hold it by the insulator and flick it against a piece of paper - do you get drips of fuel off it (very wet)? If so, turn the ignition off, turn the saw upside down and spin it over and watch all the fuel come out. Warm the plug on a gas ring, fit quickly and pull the saw over on fast idle and NO choke.

If it isn't the above two, then you may have low compression.

For a saw to work, in basic terms, you need spark, fuel and compression.

Are you starting the saw with the decomp in - try it out?

When you cleaned the saw, did you knock of the breather pipe?

CHeers for that spud! Yes ive checked for spark when cold but not warm, (ive since replaced the spark plug)

As for the decomp i think its automatic, it starts and runs as it should (on the fast idle) but dies after 1-2 seconds.

Breather pipe.. where abouts would i find that? is that the fuel tank breather pipe? (if so i think i know where it is)

Compression wise it feels the same as its always done, but I may drop it in at the local garden machinery place (if pushed, as hes a bit of a d1ck!)

Sorry if this is all a bit basic or a daft question, Im used to working on engines and stuff (mainly old landrovers and volvos)

thanks

Ben

Ah - automatic decomp - not one of Huskys better inventions - they tend to leak and cause problems - best thing to do is plug the pipe and fit a manual decomp valve.

The breather is the fuel tank breather and comes out of the fuel tank next to the fuel pipe, is connected to a rubber pipe that enters the airbox and then plugs in to a small connector next to the top cover clip on the clutch side.

Yep found that and it seems to be on its little connector. There does seem to be a fair bit of fuel seeping down the side of the saw, down the side of the fuel tank from just under the top cover clip bit you mentioned, porous pipe maybe?

Ive had a look at the de-comp valve and it all seems clean inside, where would I get a manual de-comp valve from? I mean are they a standard thread and fitment?

thanks

Ben

Yep found that and it seems to be on its little connector. There does seem to be a fair bit of fuel seeping down the side of the saw, down the side of the fuel tank from just under the top cover clip bit you mentioned, porous pipe maybe?

Ive had a look at the de-comp valve and it all seems clean inside, where would I get a manual de-comp valve from? I mean are they a standard thread and fitment?

thanks

Ben

The manual decomp valve fitted to many other Huskys will screw straight in but make sure you seal the pipe that comes out of the lower cylinder 100% - I believe you can get a cap and clip or I took the pipe out of mine, tapped the hole and put in a screw sealed with JB Weld.

The petrol doesn't seem right - you need to find out where it is coming from.

I didnt think id noticed the fuel before, Ill have a look tomorrow evening, Im out volunteering with the BTCV tomorrow.

To me it sounds like its not getting fuel in, how does the carb suck the fuel up? does it pressurise the tank or something? Ive never really thought about it!

thanks

Ben

I didnt think id noticed the fuel before, Ill have a look tomorrow evening, Im out volunteering with the BTCV tomorrow.

To me it sounds like its not getting fuel in, how does the carb suck the fuel up? does it pressurise the tank or something? Ive never really thought about it!

thanks

Ben

In the carb there is a pumping membrane gasket, on one side it takes vacuum and primary compression from the crankcase and uses it to pump the fuel up from the tank.

The impulses from the crankcase can be used via a rubber hose like a fuel pipe (impulse line) or via a hole in the cylinder by the carb mount and goes through to the carb where there is a small hole in the throttle side of the carb that does the job internally. The 357 has the latter but does have a small 3cm pipe that goes from the front to the back of the carb boot.

thanks for that, and no worries matty!

i cant get it out of my head that it seems to be fuel starvation. It just dies off slowley. im wondering if i drew some gunk or crap up when i started it the night before. It has been stood for a while (about a month..) I know its bad practice to leave fuel in a saw or kit but mum ended up in hospital so had other things to sort out!

thanks

Ben

ps matty- id have thought de-comp valve but ive never had one on a landrover :P