Self employed work?

looker123

Just a few questions for you all that I'm hoping you can give me some advice from. First of all, how competitive is it out there going self employed for

Subbying for other companies? Would I stand much chance of making a basic wage? I ask this having little to no experience with a saw? I'm working landscaping at the moment, i have got experience stumpgrinding, and with chippers etc, have also got spraying tickets.

I am doing my cs 30 and 31 in a few weeks then I'm hoping to be getting cs 38 in the summer.

I am also quite flexible with what I do, don't mind doing a bit of hedge cutting, strimming, spraying etc

I will have my own van, ppe, saws, strimmers, k/s, everything. I should add I

Happily work away, will travel anywhere. One final question is what would you be looking a for a day rate for me, say with cs 30 31 and 38?

Very hard working I will add.

Oh and I'm in the Yorkshire region.

I know some of these questions no one will be able to answer lol

Thanks

The whole key to success as a subby is getting yourself known for being a good, reliable, hard working type by as many potential employers as humanly possible. Without your contacts, you will struggle to survive. I am a free-lance groundy who has been doing just that to build a living for the past couple of years and it has been hard going. I have been very lucky with people I have met on here but it has taken until now to get a regular supply of work from a selection of different people, and I still can't guarantee to fill 5 days every week. Good luck with what you decide to do. :001_cool:

Thanks for the replies! Yes it does seem very competitive and hard going out there. How's work in your areas? Where I am (York) I have rung every tree surgeon in the yellow pages and most of them say, no sorry we have been laying a few people off. A small minority say I will take your details, however this is probably just politeness above anything and I will be surprised if i here anything from them. The majority of the work on here does seem to Be in the south though?

So would you risk it or not? I haven't got much to loose, place where I'm at now is appalling to work for, I hate it if I'm honest, I think if it doesnt work out then the stuff I will have invested in won't go to waste anyway. I'm only young 20, and no commitments etc

Thanks

Hi there it's not easy when you first start but if you are determined then it will pay off . If you have a couple of skills that can make you money then helps you with options . I do tree work and rope access work together they keep me busy I do a combination of private and sub contract work .getting 30/31 is a great start then 38/39 soon after

The problem is there is an influx of new people with 30/31 it's the same in rope access to there is an influx of level ones . Companies are spoilt for choice this pushes down wages as the new people are prepared to work for less and less just to get a slice of the cake making it harder and harder .

The are a couple sure ways to help you get ahead in the race , over time experience will be your biggest assets and then doing some extra tickets that will help you have an edge over all the other new people .

A PTS and CSCS card is a big asset as it's sort after along with your chainsaw tickets .as then you can go where other newbys cannot .

Good luck and all the best littletree:thumbup:

If you're working gardens and landscaping at the moment, then you do have an advantage. Don't ever go behind your bosses back, but there is no reason why you can't take on private jobs for other customers by taking holiday and weekends. It's good experience looking at jobs yourself and pricing up and dealing with the customer. Let acquaintances/family/friends/neighbours know you are looking for other garden work as you want to branch out. Then opportunities for tree work open up on your own jobs.

Yes it does seen as though more and more people are doing the cs 30 and 31 now which I guess means companies can pick and choose also

Lower wages as said.

I do have cscs card, also a few utility passports (gas) which would be handy. How would I go about getting pts?

I suppose going grass cutting etc is a foot in the door. I guess it's

Just experience at the end of the day, which is hard to get in these times.

To be honest I would rather go work full time for a local tree surgeon i know on min wage the. Atleast it's a guaranteed income, but he said he hasn't got he work on ATM to pay and extra wage, fair emough I guess.

Is there alot of work to be had off here?

Thanks