Guying leaning trees

David Humphries

Hi David,

In terms of monitoring the lean using 2 plum lines - this seems difficult to take accurate measurements from in my opinion (I may have not understood the method though). How do you physically measure the change over time? I would assume by measuring the horizontal distance between the lines?

I recently measured the lean of a tree using a smartphone with a clinometer app (backed up with an actual clinometer to double-check). If you use a wooden baton to smooth out any bumps from the bark, and mark on the tree the location of the baton for next time, this seems to work ok.

DSC01003.jpg.0f781f433b59dfdf78a3f30723f46bdb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David,

In terms of monitoring the lean using 2 plum lines - this seems difficult to take accurate measurements from in my opinion (I may have not understood the method though). How do you physically measure the change over time? I would assume by measuring the horizontal distance between the lines?

I recently measured the lean of a tree using a smartphone with a clinometer app (backed up with an actual clinometer to double-check). If you use a wooden baton to smooth out any bumps from the bark, and mark on the tree the location of the baton for next time, this seems to work ok.

That's very useful Paul, thanks for the idea.

a few obsticles like bark depressions, swells, buckles and bulges, but a baton could work :thumbup1:

The linear distance is the measurement taken between the plum lines.

Still can't feel comfortable with the idea of that tree over a garden held by guys though."

Even 15,000 lb. test x 2?

"It may be half a day to install them but what about the ongoing maintenance"

The cable material lasts at least 30 years. It needs periodic inspection, and possibly adjustment.

"and security?"

What security? Like a mall cop or something? :laugh1:

"What about the blokes that eventually have to deal with it when it's days are over? Sectional dismantling of a guyed tree, that could be an interesting addition to CS units."

It will be another factor, but the whole idea is to prevent its days from being over.

"This is modern arboriculture and the processes David is going through are well beyond what I am used to."

I'd heard that support is rarely used in the UK, but it is still surprising.

-Maintenance

Periodic inspection would be every 12 months at least and following extreme weather events.

-Security

Mall cop? More like Robocop:lol: No, it was just a thought that if the tree is in an area with public access then security of the guy lines must be a consideration, what with young rascals being young rascals and all.

-Modern arboriculture

By that I meant the evaluation, monitoring and careful consideration of the tree, not simply the restraining.

Sorry if my experience of arboriculture is beneath you, despite my sometimes forthright posts I am trying to use this great resource to learn, not advertise my all knowing genius.

It is apparent to me that there is a gulf in quality of arboricultural care and expertise,budget and outlook between my own situation and David's, for example, or indeed yours.

The reasons for this are not entirely clear to me but I guess they are geographical, cultural, educational and primarily financial.

I am aware of the potential for guying trees and have no doubt that it is a valuable way to retain and prolong trees and their contribution to the environment. I question the appropriateness or the specification because I want to know more , I suppose, and do have a tendency to play devils advocate on occasion.

I don't think support is all that rare in the U.K. but it is reserved for the more discerning owners and carers of trees.

Hi David,

That's a great use of a clinometer( been told about it but never got round to trying it as yet) and the baton is a nice and simple solution to gain continuity.

I guess you should really use a baton of the same dimensions each time and record the height/position it is placed at too, to get a really accurate reading of any increase in lean.:thumbup1:

-Maintenance

Periodic inspection would be every 12 months at least and following extreme weather events.

-Security

Mall cop? More like Robocop:lol: No, it was just a thought that if the tree is in an area with public access then security of the guy lines must be a consideration, what with young rascals being young rascals and all.

-Modern arboriculture

By that I meant the evaluation, monitoring and careful consideration of the tree, not simply the restraining.

Sorry if my experience of arboriculture is beneath you, despite my sometimes forthright posts I am trying to use this great resource to learn, not advertise my all knowing genius.

It is apparent to me that there is a gulf in quality of arboricultural care and expertise,budget and outlook between my own situation and David's, for example, or indeed yours.

The reasons for this are not entirely clear to me but I guess they are geographical, cultural, educational and primarily financial.

I am aware of the potential for guying trees and have no doubt that it is a valuable way to retain and prolong trees and their contribution to the environment. I question the appropriateness or the specification because I want to know more , I suppose, and do have a tendency to play devils advocate on occasion.

I don't think support is all that rare in the U.K. but it is reserved for the more discerning owners and carers of trees.

dont take to much offence by Guy, its his style, he is a yank after all!:lol:

No offence taken or intended.

Guy by name guyed or braced by nature. (or so it seems by his love of support:thumbup1:)

Ha yes guying is what i do, no matter what.

12 month interval, perhaps; depends on tree and site. I've specced intervals from 3 months to 5 years.

O, security like vandalism, right. That EHS cable is very hard; maybe 100 strokes with the hacksaw. vandals are typically not that persistent, methinks.

i have much to learn about the evaluation, monitoring and careful consideration of the tree. I've only worked on a dozen or so projects on this scale in one role or another, none with factoring fistulina.

"It is apparent to me that there is a gulf in quality of arboricultural care and expertise,budget and outlook between my own situation and David's, for example, or indeed yours.

The reasons for this are not entirely clear to me but I guess they are geographical, cultural, educational and primarily financial."

All these factors may be at play, but outlook may be #1. Willingness to look at all possible solutions, without biases. :001_smile:

Expertise is #2, and that is primarily experience.

Educational is part of that, #3, ya gotta study what others are doing.

Financial, not seeing that. This project would take maybe $500 worth of kit--drill, bits, hacksaw, tensioners; basic stuff.

All knowing genius, that's a good one. I often speak with confidence but am hugely aware of my need to learn more. :confused1:

I thought your points and questions were mostly on target. I hope the other trees chosen for anchoring and the design allow that tree to stand, indefinitely. :thumbup: