Friction blisters

Timbur

Evening all,

Since I've started working outdoors in the cold I find that I've been getting friction blisters on the end of some of my toes. I've put it down to steel toe caps and bad circulation but my doctor says it's more likely ill fitting footwear. The odd thing is that my chainsaw boots are the most comfortable footwear I own bar my slippers :o)

Anyone else suffer or care to offer advice?

Cheers

Tim

I used to get a lot of friction blisters on my hands

Usually the left one but not them for quite a while.

Do you just get them in the cold.

usually down to sweating or too much movement what about about an extra insole

Tim

you are right to take it seriously! You may need larger sized boots, because most of us buy footwear that's too restrictive/ small. Think about removing volume rather than adding to it. Putting more insulation around feet that are already constricted will do one thing; reduce blood circulation: that leads to chilblains (your symptoms?) in the mild cold/damp conditions we have in the UK and frostbite in colder climes.

Woollen socks, the best you can afford, will pay you back too (not least because they don’t get smelly). Wearing two pairs of socks is usually a mistake IMO. One pair of really good socks is almost as important as your boot.

good luck

Helly Hansen do some great technical ski socks with merino wool. I find them perfect with boots and they don't have stupid big seams across top of toes like typical work socks.

Over time, though, feet, just like hands, do toughen up.

Pedroski, right now I’m wearing Icebreaker merino ski socks, (and that's not a chat up line). The socks I wear today cost more than the boots I could afford 30 years ago!

I think you are probably right though..feet, like hands toughen up.. well, either that or you just lose nerve sensation with age:confused1:

Dry your boots properly and get wicking socks. Even get a plug in boot dryer if you need one. Yesterday's condensed sweat and foot fungus nastiness under the steel toe cap won't help. An extra insole might stop your foot moving around and rubbing.

Thanks guys. Merino socks are ace. De Feet Woolie Booloies are my favs. (cycling socks)

My boots are bigger than my feet with extra insoles for comfort and warmth.

I'm going to invest in a few pairs of GOOD walking boot socks and see if that helps as friction blisters hurt in the cold :o(

Pete - it might be chill blains which lead to blisters. I've got poor circulation at the best of times!

Tim