Electric chain Sharpeners tip

gensetsteve

Maybe stating the obvious but thought it may help someone. I bought a cheap bench grinder sharpener and for the first 6 chains it was great. Then the cutting performance dropped off. After a few other members mentioned dressing the wheel I had a look and noticed the the grinding wheel wears on one edge. This seems to take too much off the top edge of the cutter. Being impatient and too tight to buy a dressing stone I dug around the workshop until I found an old diamond disk from a grinder ( the type you use to cut paving slabs ) put a pair of gogles on and dressed the ginder in a couple of secs.

The grinders disk glazes over pretty fast - any diamond file, bit etc will dress it and you will get noticeably more sparks off it after dressing.

The shape of the disk usually forms with the shape of the hook of the chain cutter - just break the glaze lightly, no need to contact the wheel with the diamond file for more than half a second!

which grinder have you bought, i keep thinking about trying the clarke one from machine mart.

Cheapo from lidls about six months ago £20. Has coped well with one processor and 6 chainsaws. I would think a silverline or machine mart would be similar. I dont use it all time tend to file unless teeth are uneven or hit a stone.