Hybrid black pop reduction

Marc

If that was my jod i'd have sent you back up! 25% is closer to a spank rather than a tickle! Nice shape though....

:321:

Hugo came out to site and said he wanted 6ft off all the limbs :scared1: he's been smoking some seriously strong **** lately.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent prune, be back to full size in no time, bet the client will be well chuffed to see his money down the drain . Must have been a spot on groundie on site to guide you 2:001_tongue:

We need no guiding! Its a zen thing.

Excellent shape though I can't help thinking sometimes that job specs don't take into consideration the natural form of the tree which is why some of the reduced branches have been taken back to thrift growing at a right angle to the branch. It begs the question, what can it be reduced to next time?

Excellent shape though I can't help thinking sometimes that job specs don't take into consideration the natural form of the tree which is why some of the reduced branches have been taken back to thrift growing at a right angle to the branch. It begs the question, what can it be reduced to next time?

The reality is its a poplar its hardly full of good pruning points to go to, it would of been great to have 100ft platform to make the more ideal pruning cuts, this was the best we could do with a difficult spec on a difficult tree.

How would top'ing it do as a managment alternative, then treat it as a high pollard?

Would not of looked as good long term imo.

Looks a bit haircut pruned to me. Pic 2 looks like youv'e followed the dotted line, where there are better places to prune to within and without the line, without extra climbing.

The thrifty bits mentioned by Lanstree are a bit small in proportion to the nodes youv'e cut back to leaving stubby bits all over the place.

Sorry but I think its almost there but not quite. I know everyone does an individual tree differently but I'm not so happy with that one as everyone else.

You are right Marc, they are very difficult to reduce and you've done a fine job of it. Perhaps the thing I am criticizing here is the job specs we have to hand and apply to all trees. Some trees are easier than others to reduce and some look better for it but I reckon its nearly impossible to do a reduction on a pop like this and still make cuts to british standard. What you've done looks to be as near as it can get

Looks a bit haircut pruned to me. Pic 2 looks like youv'e followed the dotted line, where there are better places to prune to within and without the line, without extra climbing.

The thrifty bits mentioned by Lanstree are a bit small in proportion to the nodes youv'e cut back to leaving stubby bits all over the place.

Sorry but I think its almost there but not quite. I know everyone does an individual tree differently but I'm not so happy with that one as everyone else.

A good point paul and lancs, i'm not a fan of pruning trees into nice shapes, trees do not need to be made symetrical and perfect, i appreciate that a lot of the cuts are not to best practice.

This was a challenging tree to prune to the spec given, the time frame and price on the job. I was pleased with the result and do not think we could of done it better with the constraints we had, although i accept its not perfect the only way to get a better result in my opinion was with a big platform or more time.

Having said that this tree is mature for a hybrid black pop, its already had 2 large limbs fail, its coming to the end of its sule a light tickle is never going to reduce the likelyhood of future failure considering the nature of popular to shed large limbs.

We work to a high standard with a top reputation in our area, unfortunatly we are not immune to the commercial pressure to be productive and profitable as much as we would like to be.

Fair enough Marc. I can see that it was a very 'busy' tree to do.

I'm glad you took my criticism as positive feedback, and not as anything else.

I've decided that I'm not gonna comment on other peoples work untill I've had the courage to post some of my own.

I don't take before and after photos so I'll have to get into the habit.