husky 254 breather

nuggsy

sorry but been a long time since i worked with saws, what do you mean by av mounts ?

AV = anti vibration mounts - cylindrical pieces of rubber with threaded metal plates on each end - there are allen bolts either side of the outside of the crank case - one above the fuel cap and a further two either side of the lower saw - one under the recoil cover and one under the clutch cover - just undo the allen bolts and lift the crank away from the handle - should be enough clearance to get the old breather out and a new one in.

This may help...or confuse - http://www.h-machine.jp/part_list/husqvarna/254_1998.pdf

Its creating vacuum in the petrol tank when running but wen i switch it iff it pisses feul out tge breather which ist handy lol

Sounds like a contradiction as if there was a vacuum in the tank, it would pull air in eventually rather than letting fuel out.

Normally a blocked breather will make a saw hard to start but normal if the fuel cap is loose, you will find it revs immediately it is started and then get progressivly worse in seconds and will eventually bog and stall at idle and not rev out freely.

It would be worth you inspecting the fuel pipe and possibly the diaphragm of your carb as if the breather was blocked - how would fuel be escaping from it:confused1:

Sounds like you have a nice little job ahead!

Fair point bud. I managed to find 1 of a dieing breed, an old school saw mechanic! Had it into him today and he said it was a carb problem, the saw is 22 years old so he also did a compression test on it and reckons its like brand new but it turned out the carb wasnt quite right set up so he adjusted it and the saw seems to be like a new machine, hope it works

Fair point bud. I managed to find 1 of a dieing breed, an old school saw mechanic! Had it into him today and he said it was a carb problem, the saw is 22 years old so he also did a compression test on it and reckons its like brand new but it turned out the carb wasnt quite right set up so he adjusted it and the saw seems to be like a new machine, hope it works

Unfortunately the world is full of people who think they know and generally don't - I don't profess to know everything and never can but am glad you got it sorted - probably gunk in the gauze filter - a common one on older saws, not through weakness but just down to lack of regular maintenance.

Look after this engineer - sounds like a good un and they are like gold dust!

The 254 is a decent saw, used one a couple of years back to cut up a lot of oak and it was good - now with my brother in his business!

It was an early version of the 346 - light and powerful:thumbup:

Put a 15" bar on it and it will impress!