Sliding D's

WorcsWuss

So is that it just less action needed for it to release, going to have a go on both and see what I like.

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's a good way of putting it.

I've found that after hanging on the knut, it doesn't free-up as easily as the VT. The flip side of this is that the VT can feel less secure - a more nervous knot, if you see what I mean.

If your trying it out, experiment with plenty of different combinations of wraps vs. braids until you find a suitable set-up for yourself.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was mucking about tying a VT and noticed the difference it makes by the wraps you make, so tell me is there no real way of tying it right? What I mean is there a standard amount of wraps for it or is it just what you feel comfortable with. I know it is a rapid to the touch I will be testing it sub leg breaking height. lol

Sent from my aye phone using Tapatalk

I would guess many people start from a 3 wraps/3 braids - or 4/3.

It is further complicated by the cord and rope combinations - some softer cord types grip more than harder ones, so need fewer wraps.

Then factor in dry/wet ropes and you'll see why the 'right' knot is often only the right knot for particular conditions on the day.

The amount of friction the hitch requires also depends upon what else the rope is rubbing against. If the rope runs over the bark (and friction is high) the hitch will have less to do to hold the climber. Replace the natural crotch with a cambium saver and the hitch will have to provide more friction. Using a rope guide (with very little friction) will place almost all required friction onto the friction hitch.

With all these variables, 'tying it right' becomes a movable feast.

I tie as many wraps and braids as I can get round on the lanyard to take the pulley as tight to the wraps as possible, it makes a huge difference to how it tightens up. It can have a tendency to not want to lock up at all if the pressure is applied very slowly [unlikely to be a problem when climbing I guess], with a fairly stiff cord the braids can hold the wraps free causing it to simply keep sliding till it's yanked on. The easy release is definitely a VT's best feature though...