Stihl 260 as bad as some people say?

lee74

A mate of mine has a stihl 260 and he takes down and processes a fair few number of trees with it and he his perfectly happy with.

Anyway some of the posts on here say the 260 is not as good as it could have been.

So is it all down to personal preference, since I have always thought the 260 to be a pretty good saw? :confused1:

P.S. for what its worth, when i did my CS 30/31 I used a 026 and thought it was ok.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worrk about it, there is an age old argument between what is best, the Husky 346XP or the Stihl 026/MS260, Husky upped the 346 from 45 - 50cc, stihl upped theirs to keep up.

All depends on what you like, my brother loves his 026, I love my 346 - both are well made and feel well balanced, the 346XP develops more power, has better AV IMO but don't want everyone having a go as that is my own opinion - both are very popular as good groundsaws depends if you prefer orange or orange and grey:001_rolleyes:

I don't think anyone has said the 260 is a bad saw, it is in fact far from it.

I think what comes up a lot is that it's 'overrated', that's a slightly different proposition.

Stihl have sold HUGE numbers of these saws and the sales figures suggest it's the most incredible piece of engineering in the history of intelligent life which is, perhaps, something of an over-statement.

The 260 is a brilliant saw, I have one, but it's not the saviour of the human race implied by the vast quanities of them out there....!

It's awful if you compare it to a 346, but pretty much anything in that range is. The 346 is the best 45-60cc saw I have ever used, including the mystical 254XP.

Doesn't mean it's actually better than anything else though, just that you prefer it!