False anchor

mikecotterill

Ok I'm ready for a ribbing on this one but having never needed to install a false anchor or use one, I can't remember how to do it!

Basically ive been asked to near enough pollard a tree and so I'll be left with no anchor usually I'd use spikes but obviously can't this time, so I'd thought about using a cambium saver and chokering it with itself by putting the small eye through the big one, but then realised I'd not be able to get it down, I'm presuming you can't put the climbing rope through both eyes as the saver won't be safe? If that makes sense. Failing that I'll have to do a firemans pole and slide down it :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly clear what you mean, Mike - but if you're having problems with the choked cambium saver not retrieving with the rope then choke on the stem as you suggest, then retrieve the cambium saver with a throwline once the climbing line is out of the way and you're on the ground.

I might be picturing this the wrong way but it'll not be the first time. :001_smile:

Somebody is bound to mention 'ropeguide' but I'm assuming you wont be using one.

Cambium savers were a new thing when I stopped climbing and I've never used one but their workings were explained to me once: as I recall, the saver is placed but not choked, the climbing rope goes through both eyes. When you are ready to retrieve the saver you place something on the end of your rope which will pass through the big eye but not the little one; when you pull the rope it passes through the big eye and down comes your cambium saver. Does that sound about right? It's many years since I was told this and things might have changed or memory might have failed me, (again).

here we are this is how you do it with a cambium saver you will need a long one if its a big stem though. the 1 thing you need to watch out for is you must make sure the small ring is ontop of the rest of the cambium saver otherwise it wont be retrevable you will see what i mean if you try it your self.

DSC00560.jpg.1ea53fec7e52c0879fcc71a519523032.jpg

Ok just been out and took a couple of pics the first one is how I visioned it then realised it won't be retrievable?? The second I can't see being safe. Should of said it is basically for use on a stem so can't pass over a limb etc. Cheers mike

In this case I should think you wouldn't use a cambium saver in a situation like this. Will it be too high to retrieve it by ladder if choked?

here we are this is how you do it with a cambium saver you will need a long one if its a big stem though. the 1 thing you need to watch out for is you must make sure the small ring is ontop of the rest of the cambium saver otherwise it wont be retrevable you will see what i mean if you try it your self.

I agree with you on the length of the cambium saver - but funnily enough, I've always had the big ring over-lying the small ring. :confused1:

When the rope is clear of the big ring it tends to lift and let the saver turn on the stem - whereas when I set it up with the small ring over-lying it bears down on the free end and doesn't let the saver slip on the bark.

It might depend on the stiffness of the cambium saver.

So when u want to retrieve that setup do you just tie a knot in the rope which jams in the pulley. I've just found the same idea in a book but didn't use a pulley is there a reason you use it? Cheers for the replies.