National Forest

Hi, We're looking for anyone in the National Forest who owns or know's a woodland owner who needs their woodland managing. We are willing to carry out planting and formative pruning work at reasonable prices. We are also willing to offer thinning services for free subject to access and quality of timber. Anyone intered please pm me. Thanks.

Hi, We're looking for anyone in the National Forest who owns or know's a woodland owner who needs their woodland managing. We are willing to carry out planting and formative pruning work at reasonable prices. We are also willing to offer thinning services for free subject to access and quality of timber. Anyone intered please pm me. Thanks.

Best of luck weve been trying for years to get similar work - it all seems to be carried out by the voluntry secter or students. Its a shame as the forest is crying out for work to be done as the plots are getting out of control and the timber that comes out is not the best of qualities. The whole reason the location was chosen for the forest was to try and grow woods and local employment after years of scarring from mining - it seems to have failed on both counts :thumbdown:

I am based in the National Forest (good name, except that it's not National and it's not a Forest). The impression that I have is that the Forest has been conceived solely as a theme park where the public can loiter, litter, etc. The senior bureacrats at the National Forest Company still seem to be in the mindset of "plant and forget" and have not yet fully grasped the consequences of neglect of maintenance.

Apparently there is an owners group who meet for demonstrations/training about formative pruning, thinning, etc. Perhaps you should contact the Head of Forestry at the National Forest with your concerns. I am sure that he would be supportive.

I understand that their is to be a new database for forestry contractors, but a chance for owners to meet and establish a basis of trust with contractors would be a small step towards overcoming any suspicion and inertia.

I am based in the National Forest (good name, except that it's not National and it's not a Forest). The impression that I have is that the Forest has been conceived solely as a theme park where the public can loiter, litter, etc. The senior bureacrats at the National Forest Company still seem to be in the mindset of "plant and forget" and have not yet fully grasped the consequences of neglect of maintenance.

Apparently there is an owners group who meet for demonstrations/training about formative pruning, thinning, etc. Perhaps you should contact the Head of Forestry at the National Forest with your concerns. I am sure that he would be supportive.

I understand that their is to be a new database for forestry contractors, but a chance for owners to meet and establish a basis of trust with contractors would be a small step towards overcoming any suspicion and inertia.

There is a web link on the National Forest website for local contractors but its not promoted, weve been on it for years and have never had one enquiry. We did win a tender a few years back to thin out some woods that they had bought and are now activeley managing, and they did ask local owners to come and have a tour of the woods and to see us working. Again this led to no further work. We do get a few enquiries from the National Forest Wood fair though this is annually. The only work we see happening is rides being mowed - and that is by larger companies from outside the area. There is some work coming up with new cycle trails being put in (i was delivering logs to the head of the Forest) and she told me about this . I dont know if the tree works for this are up for tender or the whole works are being lumped together with the building works - shame if it does!

I've been thinking along the lines of the freedom of information act. They should publish who owns the woodlands that have been planted. Its in the public interest. One thing I did find out online which was shocking was that lots of them have recieved stuardship grants! I don't believe for one minute they are spending them otherwise there would be more of us out there "making woods work"

I've been thinking along the lines of the freedom of information act. They should publish who owns the woodlands that have been planted. Its in the public interest. One thing I did find out online which was shocking was that lots of them have recieved stuardship grants! I don't believe for one minute they are spending them otherwise there would be more of us out there "making woods work"

Hmmm my thoughts for years

Great original idea to start with (National Forest) but now a huge waste of government funds and the BTCV do most of the free work. Some odd work done with horses for big PR stunts in the news and make them look viable in the office.

I have attended several meetings (free food) and a private estate woodland's man said he wanted some foreign people from Poland instead of local firms and he could do the work for much less.

The contractors list is a JOKE and we have told them the reason we wanted off the list.