Woodburners

Robert Raven

County 4x4 has made a good point and one we (ex-wife :sneaky2:) fell foul of despite the dealers advice.

Our (wife out SWMBO in) cottage lounge area is not that large maybe 15'x15' with a 6' 4" ceiling but the original open fire/range area takes up about 6' of the wall width. So the more suitable sized woodburners looked a tad small so a 7kW Jotul stove ended up in there. Not cheap but a superb stove that ends up being run cranked back a lot of the time to stop the room becoming like mid summer in Bermuda. Not ideal :001_rolleyes:

354292422.jpg

My solution was to fit a room fan in one corner and blow the heat up the corridor and into the dining area :thumbup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ps very jealous of that pic Big J!

Christ, I wish it was mine, but it's just a google image!

My uncle has two though, the 11kw and the 6kw. The 11kw literally and completely heats a 150 sq m house all winter (German winter too).

Jonathan

We've got a villager a flat and it's perfect for us. No build problems at all. I've seen and used many stoves in holiday cottages over the years and I just no longer buy the rubbish that is talked up about some brands. We sell a particular budget brand which is constantly slated and yet we have hundreds of happy customers.

As stated, most villagers have a flue damper which gives an extra level of control. Our glass hardly ever gets dirty and it pumps out the heat.

My advice would be to avoid 'forum wisdom' as most people copy other's opinions. Ask owners of specific stoves and make your choice from that.

I reckon pretty much everyone on here must have a woodburner so I'm after some advice. I want one for a barn conversion, quite open plan so needs to be pretty big.
You could calculate the output of the stove you'd need by measuring your room and using an online calculator like this one Stove output requirement calculator , making allowances for the efficiency of the insulation you have.

I like the Efel Harmony stoves , and recommend their build quality.

I reckon pretty much everyone on here must have a woodburner so I'm after some advice. I want one for a barn conversion, quite open plan so needs to be pretty big. Which makes/ models do you recommend? Efficiency is key (price too of course), so I'd like one that shuts down tight rather than raging away all night like some I know of. Would welcome your thoughts.

I've been offered a Villager A, 16kw in pretty decent nick, anyone got one of these, and is it any good?

Thanks all.

We have the largest 'Arrow' stove, is very efficient and heats 23 rads, shuts down and ticks over for up to 8-10hrs on seasoned S/S, H/W even better, so house is warm when you come home and get up. We have no other heat source.

Only draw back is its not really a brilliant room heater, if you have rads, a lot of heat goes into the system, but if you want to heat the whole house on wood it is 1st class.

Clearview are really good, a lot of my firewood cutomers have them and they seem economical with wood and work well. Get the best you can afford :)