Anti freeze Red or Blue - winter warmers?

blazer

Thinking I was being a good boy I ordered up some red Antifreeze for my 03 L200. Had a few probs draining the lot out, although I changed the head a while ago, when I refilled and started up again there was still some green in the system. From reading up (wish I done it before ordering Red) some claim if blue/green is mixed with Red it will 'gel up'. I will drain again and flush again but how clean does the system need to be for changing to Red antifreeze to be sure I won't have problems - or am I worrying again.

Thanks in advance, got confused by the claim Red is best for +2000 and Blue for pre2000.

Best not to mix them, but a quick clean-water flush is plenty clean enough.

The red (is it OAT? ) should keep it's properties for longer, thus prolonging the service interval, it's also supposed to be easier on mixed-metal systems by somehow preventing one metal acting as a cathode (or anode? can't quite remember. One metal "sacrificially" rusting superfast to "save" another).

Dont be mislead by the colour! check bottle to see what chemicals it contains...

If in doubt, drain it out! If you can not determine what your current antifreeze is, drain the entire system, flush it clean, and refill. Never mix different antifreeze types. The combinations of chemicals can cause unwanted oxidation ,corrosion, and degradation of cooling properties.

Thanks Rover & Simon, I later realized if I disconnected a heater hose and connected it to a garden hose I could flush the heater & block, plus loosen the water pump outlet to flush the turbo & water pump, then do the same with the rad.

Will run it tomorrow and see if it stays clear then refill with more Red.

Need to do the wifes Jimny just to play safe if it's goes as cold as last year.