What's best for my Blake's?

Treecreeper1961

Hi all,

This is my maiden post on arbtalk and I hope it's ok to start by asking for some advice.

I have been climbing for about thirteen years. I learned to climb on a Blake's hitch. To begin with, I used a length of my climbing rope as a Blake's. At some point in time I started using 10mm Liros Hercules and found this to be very much to my liking, hard wearing, no binding and really good control.

I have experimented with prussicks and Klemheists and always prefer the Blake's, even more so since using 10mm cord, perhaps it is done to familiarity?

When my Liros ran out, I bought some Beal and this seemed less smooth, more easily worn.

Our latest LOLER inspector has kindly sold my boss 10mm marlow on the last two inspections, to replace my failed cord. Hmm, much appreciated.:sneaky2:

At some point, I have lost sight of the fact that the Blake's hitch should be tied with rope equivalent to your climbing line. Why is this recommended I ask? O.K. I know the answers to this when I think about it. Single length open hitch needs the strength, tucked bridge needs the abrasion resistance and the hitch has the binding reputation.

So, it seems I have been climbing on sub standard hitches for about six years. Oops:blushing:

Ironically, this has also been the most I have enjoyed climbing, largely due to improved performance in my hitches. :confused1:

Sorry for this long winded ramble. My question is, is there a 10mm cord rated high enough for the Blake's?

Also, does anyone else have similar preference to me or am I just a misguided fool?

I am aware my climbing technique is less than state of the art and I would like to improve it. Generally I use two ropes when required, together with a flipline with a 10mm vdt.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

i used the prussic for most of my climbing life and i was stuck on it, i couldnt see past its simplicity and ease of use. Now i have been using other things like the spiderjack and also other friction hitches such as the distel. Even though i still think you cant beat the simplicity of my old setup and the fact that there is so little gear and cost involved in it, i would have to say i am glad i pulled myself out of the stone age and started experimenting with other ways. As much as i am sure you like your blakes hitch and you are probably so used to it that you think nothing else will ever beat it (as i did with the prussic) I would suggest you put the blakes away for a month and try everything else you can get your hands on. Dont just try for an hour and say "nah i prefer my old setup" force yourself to give the other methods a try for a few days each or more if you can. Then you will be free....

I am now a spiderjack junkie and cant believe i have missed out for so long. I do like some other hitches as well but i still think the simplicity of the prussic wins over most of them and still use one on my flipline. Gone are my days of body thrusting up 20 meters and hello srt and spiderjackery for drt.

Go on you know you want to...

Thanks, you are right. Spiderjack would be a huge leap for me at the moment, both in expense and technology. What's the life expectancy of a spiderjack?

You only have to replace the cam I believe, they last a long time a hell of alot longer compared to cord, The cams are about £8 not much more than a meter of AP!

I'd advise trying one before forking out!