compact to dslr

andrew t

Bought a Canon EOS1000 for me and a Nikon D3000 for the wife. I had a look at the Sony but the fact that most people recommended either Canon or Nikon as a beginners DSLR swayed my purchase in the end. Still haven't figured out how to use them properly but absolutely stoked with the Camera, although a bit big and bulky for use up a tree. I think around the price you're looking at most of the Cameras will be the same. Just a matter of looking at the cost of accessories, customer follow up, ease of repairs etc which may make the difference.

In NZ dollars it was just over $800 which was a package with two lenses, camera bag, cleaning gear and a book on macro photography. The only problem with the 1000 is there is no movie capability unlike the Nikon. Having said that the Canon that superceded the EOS1000 does have movie and is now almost as cheap. Depends if you just want a camera to take pictures. Personally I'd prefer to buy my movie cameras as a seprate entity. The EOS suits me as I'm only a novice with a camera and I wouldn't really need all the extra functions on the more expensive gear until I figure out the basics. The thing I have noticed now I have a DSLR is that the camera goes everywhere with me and I take a heap more photos now I can take quality ones.

I also did heaps of google searching for camera reviews before buying as well as asking on here. Almost always came out as Nikon or Canon for best choice.

Keep on going back to pentax kr because the guy who does the camera couse i am going on uses the next one up from the kr range and he does mainly nature photography before i would have not really noticed them with all the nikon and canon cameras around would love to now if any one has a pentax kr:001_smile:

Keep on going back to pentax kr because the guy who does the camera couse i am going on uses the next one up from the kr range and he does mainly nature photography before i would have not really noticed them with all the nikon and canon cameras around would love to now if any one has a pentax kr:001_smile:

Just make sure you take into account the cost of repairs, accessories etc. If you can find any reviews on them it's worthwhile checking out several rather than just one and have an unbias approach. no good setting your mind on one particular camera and then searching out only the good reviews for that particular one.

I use a Canon 400D and its a great piece of kit. You can pick up the body only for around £150 and spend the rest of your budget on the most important bit, the Lens.

I use the Sigma 10 -20 and its a superb lens. Also the best value for money lens on the market is the 'Nifty 50' 50mm f1.8 which is £85 brand new. Try and avoid buying the kit lens if you go for a DSLR.