Stihl EDT 8 Tachometer - battery replacement

morten

I have just recently purchased a Stihl EDT 8 tachometer to ease my mind when adjusting the carb's "H" screw.

I knew beforehand that the battery is non-replacable (supposedly), but have also heard that if you cut the case open, it contains a fairly standard lithium battery that is easily replaced, should you ever need to, although you would need to glue/tape the box back together again.

I know that the battery is supposed to last for 5 years, but I'm fairly keen on getting inside the tach to see what's inside. Has any of you guys ever tried breaking/cutting open the EDT-7/8 box, and can give some hints to where to make the "cut"?

In any case, I'll have a go, and post some photos in this thread of the process to (hopefully) act as a guide to anyone else who some day may have to replace the battery rather than buying a new tach.

In any case, I find it a bit strange, that Stihl (or whoever designed and manufactured the EDT 8) has chosen to glue together the box rather than putting in a couple of screws. I know it reduces the cost by about a penny, but come on guys, it's silly.

edt_8_01.JPG.0bc290a834eaeaa3a9f6752133a93b72.JPG

I have just recently purchased a Stihl EDT 8 tachometer to ease my mind when adjusting the carb's "H" screw.

I knew beforehand that the battery is non-replacable (supposedly), but have also heard that if you cut the case open, it contains a fairly standard lithium battery that is easily replaced, should you ever need to, although you would need to glue/tape the box back together again.

I know that the battery is supposed to last for 5 years, but I'm fairly keen on getting inside the tach to see what's inside. Has any of you guys ever tried breaking/cutting open the EDT-7/8 box, and can give some hints to where to make the "cut"?

In any case, I'll have a go, and post some photos in this thread of the process to (hopefully) act as a guide to anyone else who some day may have to replace the battery rather than buying a new tach.

In any case, I find it a bit strange, that Stihl (or whoever designed and manufactured the EDT 8) has chosen to glue together the box rather than putting in a couple of screws. I know it reduces the cost by about a penny, but come on guys, it's silly.

I have heard that there is a way of boring a hole in the back of the case and revealing the battery - would wait for it to run out first though and fully agree - mine is sealed and will take it appart once the battery has gone!

Did you buy that new? Just wondering what the list price is as my 260 sounds lokie it's running a bit quick

If you think it is then give the H screw a 1/4 of a turn counter clockwise until you can get it tached - worst you will do is to make it flub a bit on the top end and is better than seizing it:thumbup1:

Did you buy that new? Just wondering what the list price is as my 260 sounds lokie it's running a bit quick

I got it new via mail order from Germany, as my local Danish Stihl pusher couldn't be bothered to order one for me, and paid €80 (approx GBP 70).

https://www.wmv-dresden-shop.de/shop/show_artikel.php?ARTNR=4061118&offset=0