Review of pole saw/trimmer harness

Simonsnr

Tested the harness today...Not sure if this interests people or not, but I'll give you my input anyhooo.

Coniehedge.jpg

Quoted to do this in a day and a half, with the idea of climbing along to do the tops. Thought I'd give the harness a go, and managed to do it in a day, all from steps. So my guess is, it saved me half a day, and with no arm ache, and no scratches and holes in my legs from climbing about on the green blasted pin cushions.

Got backache today, but nothing compared to how my shoulders would ache if I'd tried doing what I did without the harness. BRILLIANT for doing the top, the hedge was around 12' wide, and at a push managed to reach the lot (one years growth) Also very good for reaching the high sides, not overly impressive for doing low sides, probably easier to just use the shoulder strap for that. Found the harness comfortable, though ended up changing the stupid little clip that attaches to the trimmer within five minutes, far too small and fiddly. Apart from that VERY pleased indeed.

I bought a stihl fr85t(or summat like) back pack combi system, got hedge trimmer attachment and strimmer/brushcutter all for £585 from stihl dealer.brand new but old style stock (2006 model).

then i bought the carbon fibre extension pole (£80) so i can do conifers like that without going up the steps. I must say, apart from if you need to get tight down inbetween a shed or something it makes little work of most hedges. and with the engine mounted on the back pack the vibration is minimal. also I use it to cut down scrubland and strim grass. My best buy this year. and it doesnt look half as queer as that contraption.

• 2 years later...