Figures for number of domestic stoves installed

WFWales

,,,,due to the explosion in solid fuel appliance sales and the whordes of uneducated lemmings that are scavaging around collecting and/or instantly burning fresh cut wood then i`m considering going down the HETAS/SFA route and maybe try tagging on with a local chimney sweep/remedial liner operative etc etc. as I only just had a call from a mate who says hes sick of his neighbour going off into the woods that back onto their properties every night to fell trees and cross cut logs, fill the streets up with smoke and the daily stream of punters turning up to buy at obvious rock bottom price therefore sooner rather than later we are going to have plenty of flue problems requiring attention.

Cant help but feel pandora`s box has been opened by the desrespectful and environmentally insensitive to some degree and troubles a comin in this sector?

Would further legislation be a good or bad thing?

Does not really belong here but I also heard of someone over the weekend from a neighbour who said hes just got "registered" as a "tree surgeon" following release from Prison by sponsoring via NACRO and says he`s off into the woods to fell oaks to make "some big money"?

Far from a madding crowd I seek to dwell :/

Is it ok to have it signed off by the building inspector rather than a Hetas engineer?

Yes, but be aware that there is an occasional building inspector who don't know the regs. They deal with the whole regime of building regs, we just deal with Approved Doc J that relates to stoves. I had a council BI recently that signed off an installation done by a builder, the Redbank cowl that had been put onto the top of the pot was for venting an unused chimney only, it even had marked on it 'not for use above ANY live appliance'. As there are not currently any regs covering cowls then technically its a grey area. Luckily I spotted it when I delivered the stove, that cowl has a series of small round holes in it, these would have blocked with soot after a few months with potentially nasty if not fatel results. The BI now refuses to return calls etc, it may now be going to higher authorities. In the end I supplied the correct cowl and the customer fitted it himself.

A

The procedure to use a BI is:

A, Contact the BI, explain what you are planning, listen to his advice.

B, He will send you a bill for inspecting the job.

C, Pay the bill, he will then give you permission to start work.

D, Do the job.

E, Call the BI in to inspect the job and sign it off.

Stoves must be installed to Approved Document J of the building regs, this can be downloaded for free from the Planning Portal site. You use the first sections, the back end of the regs covers gas installations, you CANNOT do gas installs. Just put Approved Doc J into google, Planning Portal should be on page 1.

,,,,due to the explosion in solid fuel appliance sales and the whordes of uneducated lemmings that are scavaging around collecting and/or instantly burning fresh cut wood then i`m considering going down the HETAS/SFA route and maybe try tagging on with a local chimney sweep/remedial liner operative etc etc. as I only just had a call from a mate who says hes sick of his neighbour going off into the woods that back onto their properties every night to fell trees and cross cut logs, fill the streets up with smoke and the daily stream of punters turning up to buy at obvious rock bottom price therefore sooner rather than later we are going to have plenty of flue problems requiring attention.

Cant help but feel pandora`s box has been opened by the desrespectful and environmentally insensitive to some degree and troubles a comin in this sector?

Would further legislation be a good or bad thing?

Does not really belong here but I also heard of someone over the weekend from a neighbour who said hes just got "registered" as a "tree surgeon" following release from Prison by sponsoring via NACRO and says he`s off into the woods to fell oaks to make "some big money"?

Far from a madding crowd I seek to dwell :/

I caught someone with a bowsaw on some property I own cutting willow last winter !!. Seemed to think as it was a road hedge he had the right!!.

Hetas have just started with an approved firewood scheme, CW are one of the first members. Will it help you sell more wood?, not sure. I have just joined the Hetas approved retailer scheme and I have passed the HETAS installers course, I can therefore display the Hetas logo on premisies and web site but not sure yet if it will help me sell more product.

If you are a firewood supplier I can only suggest you tie up with a local stove retailer. He has first access to new stove owners, I frequently deliver a stove and a cu m of wood in a bag at the same time.

A

Thanks for the nudge A!

I spoke to the Stove Industry Alliance. They have figures for their members who they suggest supply appx. 50% of the UK market, although he did say that "others" reckon the Alliance's members supply a lower proportion.

The figures are for domestic multifuel and Wood burning stoves (at a suggested ratio of 2/3 to 1/3).

July 10 - June 11 - 84,000

June 09 - July 10 - 73,000

So, total UK would be at least double that.

For figures for Wales I put my finger in the air and came up with 5% based upon population...close enough for me!!

Cheers

M

Thanks for the nudge A!

I spoke to the Stove Industry Alliance. They have figures for their members who they suggest supply appx. 50% of the UK market, although he did say that "others" reckon the Alliance's members supply a lower proportion.

The figures are for domestic multifuel and Wood burning stoves (at a suggested ratio of 2/3 to 1/3).

July 10 - June 11 - 84,000

June 09 - July 10 - 73,000

So, total UK would be at least double that.

For figures for Wales I put my finger in the air and came up with 5% based upon population...close enough for me!!

Cheers

M

Thanks for that, makes interesting reading for all the firewood pros here.

Looking at your web site you have a lot of useful info on the industry, shame there does not seem to be an equivalent covering England.

A