How to get accredited contractor status?

The Treefeller

I was recently partnering other companies on jobs and i have noticed they have got a credited contractor status and i was wondering how you go about it, what people you get in touch with and the application process as i am fairly new to this and dont know where to start

Any advice would be helpful?

The TreeFeller

just contact the relevant accreditation co and ask to apply - an email should be enough to get the ball rolling.

then just give them all the information they require (you will have most of this place already) and pay the fee for being assessed etc and bingo.

We are Safecontractor and Chas accredited the latter being a must for the powerline contracts we undertake - please dont think it opens doors to work as most councils etc we apply to work for still want all your relevent paperwork etc. It is really good to know that your safe systems are up to this level though

We have gone down the AA route, also constructionline and chas.

Dont think there is any adantage really - tho' it may galvanise contracts you already have.

IMHO it woud be wrong to do it thinking it will open doors for you - business just isnt that easy.

Theres no body else AA approved near us although i think that will change now.

In my case, to a certain degree, I did it to show that I could.

most H&S concious companies we have worked fo still want to see everything just short ofa birth certificate anyway so as long as you can provide the relevant paper work....

We have got all the relevant paperwork were all trained upto cs41 but only 1 can do utility work and i thought it might open more doors to go into the utility work also. Were only 4 people within the company and each day were all having different days in but were getting custom now and also being recognized by councils and various residential and commercial also private opportunities but we just think if having this accreditadated status it will attract more opportunities because people might think there industry recognized. The only thing were short of is a yard to use and also a tractor and timber trailer.

The TreeFeller

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I sincerely hope my presence doesn't stifle healthy debate here regarding the "pro's n con's" of 'ARB Approved Contractor' status but, if I may, I'd like to offer a couple of comments.

Firstly, whilst 99% of businesses go through the assessment in order to gain the acreditation, i.e. the outcome, the greatest value to your business is the process and having that industry 3rd party stamp as being a compliant contractor. This should give you peace of mind and reassure your employees you are a good, and compliant, contractor.

Secondly, whilst 'ArbAC' status may not directly secure more work it may 'open doors', particularly it is now combined with CHAS and soon to be SAFEcontractor as well, i.e. 2 for 1 now and 3 for 1 soon to be (this relates to the audit process.

What the Association is seeking to achieve through the accreditation scheme is a recognised standard across the industry for the benefit of all, i.e. whilst not mandatory that 'CORGI' equivalent so mnay yearn for.

More than happy to answer any questions, otherwise I'll sit and watch.

Thanks fer yer time all.

Paul