Why?

Justme

• 6 months later...

HI only joined this site so I could pass on the answer to this post it took ages to find it again tho.its defo man made "arbosculpture "easy to do on a sapling with a clean sharp knife cut and fold. check out this Wierd stuff "art" or vandalism.

Tree shaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its a bit like training Fruit trees.Tree shaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ps im a chippy with not much work but your site is brill and has kept me sane i think, do i , not sure now .lol oh ive a love of vintage chainsaws too being an old geezer.

HI only joined this site so I could pass on the answer to this post it took ages to find it again tho.its defo man made "arbosculpture "easy to do on a sapling with a clean sharp knife cut and fold. check out this Wierd stuff "art" or vandalism.

Tree shaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its a bit like training Fruit trees.Tree shaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ps im a chippy with not much work but your site is brill and has kept me sane i think, do i , not sure now .lol oh ive a love of vintage chainsaws too being an old geezer.

I reckon you're far out, but if this train of thought made you join the insanity driven congregation of arbtalkers then it's all good!

If this was done to shape the trees in an arty way, why do a whole lot of them and then leave them to it?

Same goes for the functional shaping theories I reckon. If you'd put in all the effort to get those trees growing the way the do, why then abandon them? Even if it was done with such a background and the company/person died/went bust/whatever somebody else would use them if they were any use for such things.

Just my thoughts though...

I've had a thought. The link the op put up, Poland's Mysterious Crooked Forest : Big Pic : Discovery News, says the 400 pines were all planted about 1930. allowed to grow for 7 to 10 years before, before being held down to the ground. I'm wondering if perhaps they were held down to create a large open space in the forest (the surrounding trees are all straight) for some purpose during WW2. I'm not sure if many arbo-sculpters would have been thinking about bending trees in the middle of WW2 - I reckon it's a military thing.

Actually, I wonder if it cold be anything to do with the Bielski Partisans. They rescued Jews during WW2 and spent more than 2 years living in the forests. Link Bielski partisans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from Wiki:

"Organization

The partisans lived in underground dugouts (zemlyankas) or bunkers. In addition, several utility structures were built: a kitchen, a mill, a bakery, a bathhouse, a medical clinic for the sick and wounded, and a quarantine hut for those who suffered from infectious diseases such as typhus. Herds of cows supplied milk. Artisans made goods and carried out repairs, providing the combatants with logistical support that later served the Soviet partisan units in the vicinity as well. More than 125 workers toiled in the workshops, which became famous among partisans far beyond the Bielski base. Tailors patched up old clothing and stitched together new garments; shoemakers fixed old and made new footwear; leather-workers laboured on belts, bridles and saddles. A metalworking shop established by Shmuel Oppenheim repaired damaged weapons and constructed new ones from spare parts. A tannery, constructed to produce the hide for cobblers and leather workers, became a de-facto synagogue because several tanners were devout Hasidic Jews. Carpenters, hat-makers, barbers, watchmakers served their own community and guests. The camp's many children attended class in the dugout set up as a school. The camp even had its own jail and court of law.[4]

Some accounts note the inequality between well-off partisans and poor inhabitants of the camp.[5]"