Retrieving gear with throwlines

Dak

Right so I'm interested in what you guys are keeping your throwlines in when retrieving your pulley savers etc!

I've tried a climbing chalk bag, but takes forever to pack away an tangles up a treat which is a chore when moving from tree to tree, times money after all!

Dropping a cube out the tree is hopeless.

So what you guys using?

Right so I'm interested in what you guys are keeping your throwlines in when retrieving your pulley savers etc!

I've tried a climbing chalk bag, but takes forever to pack away an tangles up a treat which is a chore when moving from tree to tree, times money after all!

Dropping a cube out the tree is hopeless.

So what you guys using?

Keep the cube on the floor! Retrieve the rope as normal, this will gently lower the cambium saver, rope guide etc.

Know where you're coming from, throw line in the tree (with small bag) is a farce esp with Oak epicormic...

As above - from the deck with a retreiver ball, line attached at eye too.

If you want to retrieve the cambium saver in the tree put the ball (or whatever you normally do, knot etc) on the rope splice and it'll come to you fine, no need for a line to slowly get it back.

Or....get your groundie to set up your next line from the deck...or do it yourself before going up.

Hope that helps

Edited by Mr Fir

Keep the cube on the floor! Retrieve the rope as normal, this will gently lower the cambium saver, rope guide etc.

As in climb up with the line attached to harness then clip on to pulley saver?

You'd have to redirect the entire throwline when clipping line to pulleysaver whilst tying in.. Once again time is money!

Am I missing something dude?

Know where you're coming from, throw line in the tree (with small bag) is a farce esp with Oak epicormic...

As above - from the deck with a retreiver ball, line attached at eye too.

If you want to retrieve the cambium saver in the tree put the ball (or whatever you normally do, knot etc) on the rope splice and it'll come to you fine, no need for a line to slowly get it back.

Or....get your groundie to set up your next line from the deck...or do it yourself before going up.

Hope that helps

Ah yes In fully aware of that, I use a ball on my splice to retrieve.

Sorry should have been clearer, I'm talking about lowering it, I refuse to drop my pulleysaver on to drive ways , patios etc, to risky an pricey to risk :)

As in climb up with the line attached to harness then clip on to pulley saver?

You'd have to redirect the entire throwline when clipping line to pulleysaver whilst tying in.. Once again time is money!

Am I missing something dude?

If you are on the ground and you tie on your retrieval ball and throw line. Pull the rope through, the pulley saver will come out and the throw line will go over the crotch/branch. Simply lower the pulley saver with the throw line. It's just the reverse of installing a cambium saver from the ground.

If you are on the ground and you tie on your retrieval ball and throw line. Pull the rope through, the pulley saver will come out and the throw line will go over the crotch/branch. Simply lower the pulley saver with the throw line. It's just the reverse of installing a cambium saver from the ground.

I get you now kinda will try that tomorrow, easier to get my head around it when actually doing it and not half asleep!

Cheers bro!

The prob with that method when using a soft eye pulley saver is the potential for the throwline to cut into the soft eye.

One easy method is to drape the tail of your rope over a branch halfway down when you are leaving the tree and using a small biner attach the tail to the prussik side of your line (above the prussik). When you retieve the pulley saver it will be caught by the tail of the rope and can be lowered out.

Otherwise you can throw a throwline in after you are on the ground and clip the throwbag to the prussik side of the rope again and pull it up the rope. Same result as the other method.

Hope these make sense. Good luck.