Fungus Re-growth on new trees

Tom2020

I have been to look at 3 cherry trees that have all developed Honey Fungus. One removed the client has asked to replace the cherry trees that have came out in the same area with the same species, What are the chances of the fungus attacking the tree and once again have them removed, Is there a way I could tackle the fungus and remove as much as possible, Digging them out seems the most logical way but what else should I look out for as I would like to try and get as much as possible out to avoid this happening again

Tom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you replant dig as big a pit as possible, use a fair amount of sand if its clay soild to break the texture up and make it a bit more free draining, remove any rhizomorphs from spoil before returning it to planting pit. ensure the trees are the very best healthiest trees you can find, and plant them by the book as optimaly as you can so that they have as robust a healthy life as possible, thats the best defense.

they are however a susceptible species, especialy the cultivars which are much weaker than our two natives prunus padus/avium.

I have been to look at 3 cherry trees that have all developed Honey Fungus. One removed the client has asked to replace the cherry trees that have came out in the same area with the same species, What are the chances of the fungus attacking the tree and once again have them removed, Is there a way I could tackle the fungus and remove as much as possible, Digging them out seems the most logical way but what else should I look out for as I would like to try and get as much as possible out to avoid this happening again

Tom,

As long as rhizomorphs of a parasitic Armillaria species stay behind in contact with remains of living roots of the removed tree(s), the chances of re-infecting the roots of new planted trees are very high, because rhizomorphs can detect the growing hormones of damaged tree roots of trees coming from a nursery from a distance of one metre and grow towards them with a speed of up to one metre a year.

So the best policy would be to dig out all remains including all major and minor roots of the removed trees, exchange all of the infected soil with new soil and wait one to two years before planting new trees after no (panic) fruiting of Honey Fungus from overlooked remaining roots has taken place.

Thank you both for you replies helped me out a lot

I was planning on removing as much of the visible fungus and raking over the soil and in a way try to clean as much as possible.As Gerrit has said in his post adding new soil would i be best to add a different type of soil to the ground to mix it up and to help with the nutrient levels. as well as adding mulch or would that help the fungus return and reinfect the area

I have been to look at 3 cherry trees that have all developed Honey Fungus. One removed the client has asked to replace the cherry trees ...Tom

If you meant "Once removed..." and the trees are not down yet, consider retaining the trees and attacking the fungus. Even in a weak compartmentalizer, infection should not be a death sentence. By drying out the infected areas, invigorating the roots, and careful pruning, your client may not need to replace them at all.

a weak compartmentalizer ... By drying out the infected areas, invigorating the roots

How and by what means can "invigorating" the roots after drying out the infected areas, which initially are the roots, and as a result of killing the root protecting mycorrhizal structures with this "method", completely destroying what is left of the tree's defensive system, help to retain trees, that have poor root defensive systems in the first place, because the tree species is associated with generalistic endomycorrhizal microfungi as symbionts :confused1: ???

How and by what means can "invigorating" the roots after drying out the infected areas, which initially are the roots, and as a result of killing the root protecting mycorrhizal structures with this "method", completely destroying what is left of the tree's defensive system, help to retain trees, that have poor root defensive systems in the first place, because the tree species is associated with generalistic endomycorrhizal microfungi as symbionts :confused1: ???

I think what treeseer is suggesting is a last resort for salvage, as apposed to the perfect solution.

I dont think its economically viable myself either for the same reasons, besides, armillaria are well adapted to harshness in the short term.

a last resort for salvage, as apposed to the perfect solution. I dont think its economically viable myself either for the same reasons, besides, armillaria are well adapted to harshness in the short term.

Tony,

Salvage of what, with what guarantees and at what costs for the client :sneaky2: ?

Tony,

Salvage of what, with what guarantees and at what costs for the client :sneaky2: ?

You know that, I know that, but if there is one thing ive learned of late is someone will always have another opinion.

Its up to folk to decide whether or not to throw money down the drain, its their money.

I have also learned that a deep understanding of the nature of the tree species macrofungi relationships is very much in its first days of infancy certainly in the U.K.

We need you here doing your seminars!:thumbup1: