cs30&31

sasha.p

Im going to be doing my cs30&31 hopefully before christmas(I have my grant award on the 10th so will be booking it from there once i know i have funding towards it:thumbup1:) and i just wanted to know as somebody told me yesterday the cs30&31 have to be re done every two years or somthing is this true?or is it just a case of a refresher or somthing similar ?:confused1:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just wanted to know as somebody told me yesterday the cs30&31 have to be re done every two years or somthing is this true?or is it just a case of a refresher or somthing similar ?:confused1:

nope, i'm happy to say that that is utter and complete cobblers , and whoever told you that is talking out of their fundamental orrifice.

The NPTC certificates are a lifetime qualification ( The Lantra ITE ones last for five years , but you are better off doing an NPTC anyway)

That said some employers require a refresher - for example our staff are required to refresh ever 5 years - but thats just an employer policy , not a sign that the original cert has expired

nope, i'm happy to say that that is utter and complete cobblers , and whoever told you that is talking out of their fundamental orrifice.

The NPTC certificates are a lifetime qualification ( The Lantra ITE ones last for five years , but you are better off doing an NPTC anyway)

That said some employers require a refresher - for example our staff are required to refresh ever 5 years - but thats just an employer policy , not a sign that the original cert has expired

Lantra training will prepare the learner for the assessment and is a must for employement under Puwer in this industry. City & Guilds do not provide training! It is recomended to refresh every 3 years for a part time operator and 5 years for full time operator.

All competent and proffessional employers will not allow machinery to be used by staff if their 'Training' is out of date:thumbdown: If it goes wrong their and your head's are on the block wheather you had your City & Guilds cert or not!

All competent and proffessional employers will not allow machinery to be used by staff if their 'Training' is out of date:thumbdown: If it goes wrong their and your head's are on the block wheather you had your City & Guilds cert or not!

quite - but the refresher is a damn site easier and cheaper than the full NPTC certificate , so it isnt true to say that the qucalifiation has to be retaken every x years (as per the OP) .

also if you work for yourself its between you and your insurers whether you refresh , and that may depend on the work you are doing and the types of insurance you have

On the other point , I know that lantra provide training towards the NPTC ticket (although they are far from being the only training provider), my point was that it is preferable to take the NPTC certification not Lantras own ITA (intergrated training and assessment) "qualification" because the latter is barely worth the paper its printed on

Edited by Head Ranger Pete

Lantra training will prepare the learner for the assessment and is a must for employement under Puwer in this industry. City & Guilds do not provide training! It is recomended to refresh every 3 years for a part time operator and 5 years for full time operator.

The certs do not have an expiry date on them, so how can they be "out of date"?????:confused1:

It is true that the HSE "recommend" refresher training, but that does not mean retaking previous training, its better to take another unit, rather than recovering old ground.

How many employers who have staff that drive company vehicles put them through driving training and make them resit their test?????????????

The certs do not have an expiry date on them, so how can they be "out of date"?????:confused1:

It is true that the HSE "recommend" refresher training, but that does not mean retaking previous training, its better to take another unit, rather than recovering old ground.

How many employers who have staff that drive company vehicles put them through driving training and make them resit their test?????????????

no quite but it's heading that way - Driver CPC

And I thought that re-covering existing qualifications is exactly what the hse were suggesting

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

Ok thanks thats good to know i dont mind doing a refresher its just the whole idea of having to re do the tickets with the cost involved .Thanks for the advice i told them they was wrong but they was not having any of it and somthing in the back of my mind was saying it would be a refresher or somthing similar not the whole thing but i was not 100% so thought i should ask you guys :001_smile:

I agree in part only.

Competency certs do not have an expiry date. Certificates of attendance for training are only 'current' for a short time. We are advised 3 to 5 years.

It is recommended that all chainsaw operators have regular refresher or update training to ensure they work to industry best practice and maintain their levels of competence.

Trainers keep up to date with new and innovative techniques and also are aware of changes to the competency requirements. They are able to help individuals identify bad habits and prevent incidents and improve effiency as a result.

In business we have to work to rules! In a court of law the Acops/Afag guides can be used against us if it goes wrong. They also help back us up!They indicate that best practice is to undertake refresher training, then we should do it or face the consequences.

As an employer I keep up to date with this as requested by our commercial clients and I treat it as my responsibility to educate our private clients.

I am self employed and take advice from AA, HSE & Lantra. I do not take advise from my insurance company as suggested on another post. This will carry no weight in the court and to be frank who is giving the advice at the other end of the phone? The Broker.

I agree to moving forward with new skills training but it is not appropriate in all areas of skills. For example: Refresh Medium fell with Tele handler or Climbing/Aerial rescue!

I have had great feed back from learners refreshing basic maintenance/felling from guys with 5 years experience since their last. Especially CS38 Climbing and Aerial Rescue.

This is my interpretation of our industry best practice. Please comment if I have got it wrong.

I agree in part only.

Competency certs do not have an expiry date. Certificates of attendance for training are only 'current' for a short time. We are advised 3 to 5 years.

It is recommended that all chainsaw operators have regular refresher or update training to ensure they work to industry best practice and maintain their levels of competence.

Trainers keep up to date with new and innovative techniques and also are aware of changes to the competency requirements. They are able to help individuals identify bad habits and prevent incidents and improve effiency as a result.

In business we have to work to rules! In a court of law the Acops/Afag guides can be used against us if it goes wrong. They also help back us up!They indicate that best practice is to undertake refresher training, then we should do it or face the consequences.

As an employer I keep up to date with this as requested by our commercial clients and I treat it as my responsibility to educate our private clients.

I am self employed and take advice from AA, HSE & Lantra. I do not take advise from my insurance company as suggested on another post. This will carry no weight in the court and to be frank who is giving the advice at the other end of the phone? The Broker.

I agree to moving forward with new skills training but it is not appropriate in all areas of skills. For example: Refresh Medium fell with Tele handler or Climbing/Aerial rescue!

I have had great feed back from learners refreshing basic maintenance/felling from guys with 5 years experience since their last. Especially CS38 Climbing and Aerial Rescue.

This is my interpretation of our industry best practice. Please comment if I have got it wrong.

What if you never had one of these??

I was only assessed, never had any training.

I will request the Answer to this from HSE so to give an accurate answer but this is my opinion.

You and your employer would be at risk of prosecution under the HSWA Puwer section 9 if you where to have an incident/or near miss when reported under Riddor. HSE would certainly inpose a notice for you to undertake refresher training as a minimum.

You where obviously competent when you took the test.

When was that.