recomend a medium size saw

Head Ranger Pete

Okay new member here so be gentle if its been asked 5 million times already.

We've got a bunch of 260s (with 14") and a 441 (with 24") , and while they get the job done , recently I am finding a problem that we've got jobs where the 260 isnt man enough , and the 441 is overkill (also some of my smaller/female staff find it difficult to start the 441 and/or find it a beast to work with all day)

I'm thinking maybe a 361 with 20" would be the way to go as a compromise , but i'd be interested in hearing your views

For background we are a Ranger team, and are largely engaged in either storm clearance or felling dead/dangerous trees, we don't work aloft (unless standing on top of the truck counts as aloft :lol: ) and the biggest trees we are likelyt deal with are about 30" dia.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 361 is no longer available, and has been replaced with the 362. Although a good saw not as keen as the 361 IMO. Husky offer the 357 i believe which is a good tool, and have just brought out the 560xp, about which there is a current thread running on here describing peoples experiences so far. I run a 16" and sometimes an 18" on my 362. TBH i dont think it would handle a 20" as well as the 361 did!!

okay thanks for that

How easy is the 362 to start ? (at 6,4 and 15 stone, the 441 doesnt bother me but my estate ranger is a girl who's about 5,2 and a tad over half my weight and she really struggles to pull it even with the decompression button pressed)

(incidentally i'm not being discrimanatory or patronising in observing this, its just a fact - quite often she needs me or another guy to start it for her, but once the saw is running she's the best chainsaw handler/treefaller on our team by a country mile)

Edited by Head Ranger Pete

put 18 inch bar on the 441 and get a 460 or 576 or something like that with 24 inch bar, what i would do anyway:001_rolleyes:

I'm not sure i understand the logic - surely difficulty in starting the saw is down to the size of the engine she's turning over rather than the bar length , so putting a shorter bar on it wont really help

and getting a bigger saw is definite no no - I'd be the only one able to use it which would be pretty pointless.

Hi Pete. I started in conservation work. Its a difficult compromise and i dont know your workload but I would have thought having a saw in between would be a good idea, expense allowing, since you have a range of operator strengths and machine power requirements. I wouldnt ditch the lighter saws because a day of small trees/clearance/rhody bashing is much safer and probably more safely & effectively performed with the 260s.