Ash tree ident help

Danavan

I didn't see the whole tree, but this was about in the office & got some of us thinking..Any ideas? White or green ash? Any clues would be much appreciated. No reason for the ident apart from curiosity & confusion :confused1:

Sorry about picture quality, I took them on my phone..

23092011558.jpg.c89861f7ec086287d94aa60a835f86f5.jpg

23092011557.jpg.0b928aa9d7926431a7b3631d30c6139e.jpg

23092011556.jpg.ab5a21e03947b067eaaf72e025d9a890.jpg

nope scrap that, your instincts where right, its a Red Ash (Green Ash), Fraxinus pennsylvanica

Eh RobArb

Help us out here.. How did you come to your conclusion? (Not confrontational, I just cant work it out) Ive had a look and come up with Manna, Red and Green!!! Argh Mr Mitchell (my guide book). i cant tell!!

Cheers Nick

Eh RobArb

Help us out here.. How did you come to your conclusion? (Not confrontational, I just cant work it out) Ive had a look and come up with Manna, Red and Green!!! Argh Mr Mitchell (my guide book). i cant tell!!

Cheers Nick

Had a look in Mr Mitchell book at their office & that had me asking more questions too...Argh..It is the hairs & the scaly buds that :confused1: me. I have no experience in tree ident & am on a learning curve. Thanks for the input from you all, still unsure now..

I find Alan Mitchells Books very good especially the 1974 trees of britain and europe edition, i also have Owen Johnsons Tree Guide published by collins(2004)

i also have a great big book of leaves, horticulture encyclopedia's and a few othe collins and oxford Tree ID books, I am also doing my dendrology module at Uni so everything is fresh in the memory

The difference here between the two (green/red and white ash)(Green ash/red ash is the same tree different continent common name) or "splitters" is the colour of the shoot, the bud and the winged/unwinged leaflet stalks

thats how i came up with F. pennsylvanica:thumbup: