stihl 200t throttle problems

matty71

hi all, using my 200t the other day and all of a sudden the throttle stopped working as in it just went really slack and wasn't powering the saw

i assumed the throttle cable had either snapped or popped out, took the handle apart and yep everything went everywhere, anyway after a good 45 mins of messing with it i finally worked it out and managed to get the housing back together as the throttle cable had just popped out for some reason?

the throttle worked fine for around ten seconds then did the same again and popped out, this happened again and again so im assuming iv either lost some sort of clip to keep the throttle line in place? or have i just put the saw together wrong but everything seems to be working fine when the handle is off and i move the internals by hand?

thanks matty

This happened to me the other day.. :sneaky2: You'll have to take the handle apart again but check the throttle action with the handle covers off.

On ours there was some resistance which kept causing the throttle rod to pop out.

To remedy I had to remove the panel covering the carb and straighten out the linkages as they attach to the carb. I think there was probably carp blocking the butterfly mech. on the carb body which meant the rod kept poppping off.

Hope that helps. :biggrin:

The 020t was worse for this, on the 200t they started fitting a sort of "staple" that goes over the throttle and choke linkage, to hold them in place, check you have not lost that.

It is possible to slightly increase the the amount of hook on the end off the link rod, but be careful as its easy to snap the end off.

The 020t was worse for this, on the 200t they started fitting a sort of "staple" that goes over the throttle and choke linkage, to hold them in place, check you have not lost that.

It is possible to slightly increase the the amount of hook on the end off the link rod, but be careful as its easy to snap the end off.

Beat me to it - the "U" clip fits half way down the length of the linkage rods.

Other thing to mention is the throttle linkage rods are copper in colour, the choke are silver.

I do have an image of the linkages fitted correctly and can post it later today if needed.

Beat me to it - the "U" clip fits half way down the length of the linkage rods.

Other thing to mention is the throttle linkage rods are copper in colour, the choke are silver.

I do have an image of the linkages fitted correctly and can post it later today if needed.

hi thanks, the throttle linkage is the one that seems to be popping off and it all seems to be working well when the cover is off, however when i put the handle back together again the front behind the chain brake seems to be a bit reluctant to tighten up properly?

and if you could post that pic it would be great thanks :thumbup1: