Thermal Imaging Camera's

Treefitter

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attached is a summary of three other papers I am working on/submitting to other journals that will take some time to see the light of day. It explains the whole process of how to use TI results but it s not a refereed paper. You can use the same methodology for VTA data. The summary only relates to basal dysfunction but I have the same model for branch unions and other attributes. There is a list of refs for the boundary layer method of analysis it well established in many fields including Forestry.

overview of methodology.pdf

To be fair Marcus that looks fairly good, however i still question its commercial viability in day to day practice......

Agreed, I can see very few clients going to that level of expenditure and research on one tree that an experienced Arborist with mainstream techniques could assess far cheaper and far quicker.

It all depends on what your day to day is, and what the desired outcome is. At the moment I, and most of the licensees, use it as a second stage to VTA on larger trees around 60 cm DBH upwards. A great number of clients are those who want to preserve trees or reduce/spread the amount of tree work carried out and are looking at methodologies that meet this need without compromising on safety. The National Trust for Scotland are a good example in tht one of their foresters is trained in the technology and uses it regularly as part of thier assessment procedure. Of course we use it at Blenheim Palace and Ampthill Park as two examples of large sites that have benefited greatly from it. If you go to Blenheim now look at the contemporary work in contrast to some of the historical work. I know of around 200 regular clients that give work to us and our licensees as well as some more occasional users and this figure is growing. I have reversed decisions to fell on around 60 veteran trees, including fifteen ancient beech with merripilus or ustulina or both.

I was told that Thermography and Giorgio Catena were mentioned in this forum, but I’ve never known this. I’ve now noticed that two different Threads have published the link to my recently launched website (Homepage Catena & Thermography "Treethermography" since 1984). I would like to introduce my site, as I already did elsewhere, to avoid any misunderstanding.

Anyone interested in Thermography used to assess trees will find technical information, a description of Treethermography and its potential, downloadable publications in English and French and a list of the main projects carried out over the years. I think that this will clarify a lot of things.

The site presents the situation as it is today (2010): there are 18 publications in English on trees, some were published in International journals, others (written in English) published on Italian technical ones (without peer reviewing) and are added to the website to let visitors examine as many trees as possible. Take no notice in the method’s description, the way it is presented and in the Conclusions: what my assistant Lanfranco Palla and I had understood 25 years ago is really irrelevant if compared to what my daughter and I know and explain today. Someone made a critical exam of certain sentences that my daughter Alessandra wrote in the 2003 Arb. Journal article: well, I’m sorry, but that article described our viewpoint in 2000: even the 2008 paper is a bit out-of-date. Research goes on and brings with it a better understanding of the phenomenon.

If anyone wants, I can teach the method, which is not as difficult as some believes. You only need to dedication and ability.

Feel free to write to me and I’ll try and respond ASAP.

Regards,

Giorgio Catena

NB Treethermography is a registered trademark, not to prevent anyone from using it but to make sure everyone knows who introduced it: I’m not against Threethermography being used, even only as TTH