I broke a stihl 026

wallyward

hi

New to Forum and after some help if possible.

I was useing an old stihl 026 over the weekend and ran into some problems. The saw was running ok to start with but after a while it started to fade out at full revs, if you dropped the revs it was ok again. It had been stored with old fuel in it so before i ran it I emptied out the old fuel and filled up with fresh. It was ok for about 30 minutes before it started doing the above. Any thoughts?

Also when i switched it off I heard a strange rattle. seemed to be coming from the chain oil tank. When i first started it I checked it was oiling the chain ok by looking at the spray pattern it made on some old paper, all seemed ok. I filled the tank up at the same time I filled up the fuel tank. when i stopped the saw it had used half a tank of fuel and about half a tank of chain oil so that seems ok. looking in the oil tank it looks like the oil pickup (think thats what it is) has come loose and is rolling about in the chain oil tank.

How would that happen? is it repairable, if so how - do you have to split the engine to repair it. If so is thats something I would have to take into a dealer to do as not good at that sort of thing. So the age old question - is it worth doing?

many thanks for looking and any helpfull suggestions you could make.

I am in Suffolk, can anyone reccomend a good repair place to look at the saw to see if its worth repairing.

many thanks

The Saw is worth fixing - good pro saw with good residual prices. The oil pipe and filter can be got to by removing the clutch, sprocket and oil pump - the pipe can then be withdrawn and fixed.

The other issue you have sounds like an air leak in the carb boot or impulse line but could just be running lean - would be careful as if you keep running it, the saw may seize.

I could fix it but have a bit of a backlog at the moment - just depends how soon you need it!

Hi

many thanks for the replys and the PM from spudulike.

I am in the Bury st edmunds area, anyone nearer you can think about Andy?

another thought, as I only use the saw for cutting firwood which is usually no more than 300mm or so thick would it be worth considering gettting a Husqvana 240 which seem to be on a good offer everywhere at the momment as an alternative to repairing the stihl? The stihl has always been a good saw but is showing its age now and I am just thinking if I spend money now repairing it and it goes again in teh near future I might end up spending as much again as buying the husky?

worth a look for what i need it for?

thanks in advance

Nice reliable saw the MS260 - used to have one, but decided to replace it with a 346xp (with a brief spell of MS361 ownership - it had the easy chain tensioner which drove me nuts).

My best advice is stick with pro saws. For my wife to learn on, I bought a little MS181 the other week. I used it for about 30 minutes before becoming so frustrated with it I took it back. When you get used to the performance of a professional saw, domestic machines are appalling. It's like getting Schumacher to do Silverstone in a 911 instead of his F1 car.

Nice reliable saw the MS260 - used to have one, but decided to replace it with a 346xp (with a brief spell of MS361 ownership - it had the easy chain tensioner which drove me nuts).

My best advice is stick with pro saws. For my wife to learn on, I bought a little MS181 the other week. I used it for about 30 minutes before becoming so frustrated with it I took it back. When you get used to the performance of a professional saw, domestic machines are appalling. It's like getting Schumacher to do Silverstone in a 911 instead of his F1 car.

Yup - 100% agree with that - the small Husky will drive you mad after the 026!

• 1 year later...

Hi

bringing this thread back from the dead!

saw has been running well for a long tim enow but have another issue that could do with some advice on as I am challanged in these matters!

saw starts and runs fine but then when you try and move the switch from half choke to run it doasnt seem to want to stay in teh right position. is there an obvious thing I can do? if you get the switch in just the right position its ok to start and run

does that make sense?

thanks

Hi

bringing this thread back from the dead!

saw has been running well for a long tim enow but have another issue that could do with some advice on as I am challanged in these matters!

saw starts and runs fine but then when you try and move the switch from half choke to run it doasnt seem to want to stay in teh right position. is there an obvious thing I can do? if you get the switch in just the right position its ok to start and run

does that make sense?

thanks

The mechanism is latched by a pressed steel spring - make sure this is in good shape as is the plastic lug it pushes in to. Make sure the black shaft and thumb lever that you push to get the choke on is located correctly and is in good shape.

This lever can be a bit fiddly and can be improved by bending the spring a little but go carefully.

Hi

many thanks for quick reply. do you mean bend the spring towards the switch bit?

thanks in advance

You need to look at the mechanism and work out why it isn't working too well - logic tells me it will probably need bending toward the rear handle but without seeing and playing with the lever, I cant say for sure:lol:

Cheers