Mobile Saw Mill & Log Crosscut Saw

Essex arborist

Do you need something truly mobile, or to set up at a location for a period? The Norwood one is pretty good from what I've seen, and because you build your own bed for it it's very good value even bought new.

Things to consider - do you need hydraulics? If you've always got a teleporter to hand then no, otherwise yes.

What's the biggest timber you want to mill, then add about 6in at least to that to cope with flare at the base of the butt (more quite often, but you can lop the bigger bits off with a chainsaw before loading). It's not just the throat that matters here, it's also the height you can raise the head to, as the flare gets in the way if it isn't high enough.

What's the longest length you want to mill? The rigid bed towable ones will do up to about 20ft, beyond that you are looking for something with a sectional bed that requires making up on site.

When processing rate requires it (i.e. my chainsaw mills are too slow to get the job done while the site is accessible) I've usually hired one of the Autotrek ones - the owner hates it but to be fair he hates pretty much everything (and everyone!). 20ft bed, 3'6" max diameter, fully automated and can set the two ends to different heights to deal efficiently with taper. Only thing is you still end up doing it all by eye anyway.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Alex, some sound advice.

Would your guy hire the autotrek to me? If so, what sort of day rate would he be looking at?

Cheers

I'm afraid it's very unlikely - mainly because he doesn't like people, and partly because although it's mobile he doesn't move it any more - I don't think he has taken it anywhere since I got him to tow it round the M25 at rush hour.....

Alec

I have a Lucas mill , I will cut for a fee or a share of the timber.

I am based near Dunmow , Essex

I also own a Woodmizer but it is in Wales at the moment.

John

Hi John, friend had a lucas mill but bit of a performance putting it up & dismantling in rear gardens.

What sort of fee would you be looking for?

What model is your woodmizer? Is it up for hire or sale?

Cheers

Stu

• 2 months later...