Vermeer SC252 problems

CTS

I had the same symtoms on our vermeer. We changed the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel system through out. Have had to do this twice now in 2 years! Sorted our machine.:thumbup1:

Symptoms where loss of power after 10 minutes grinding when under load only. The machine would sound fine untill you put it in the stump and even when you try moving it after 15minutes. Stood the machine for 10minutes to let it cool and it will work fine again for 10minutes!:confused1::thumbdown:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I may have the answer. I was having similar problems which turned out to be the case hardening on the camshaft going soft! I took it ( the engine) to local Kohler mechanic and the diagnosis was made. the up shot is that I needed a new camshaft and followers. these were changed and the engine was like new. Kohler have had problems with their camshafts but it has not been wildly broadcasted .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so left it into our local machine repair centre for grass cutters and such like. They have a sc252 that they rent out so the confidence that they would solve the problem was there. Mentioned to the service manager all the possible problems that you guys had put forward on here. Received a confidant phone call that as the belts were so slack and the front bearings were in poor nick that replacement of these would solve the problem. He pointed out that if the belts are slipping then the engine won't respond under load. Great sounds like a simple procedure and the belt and bearings did need replaced. I had mentioned during this call that I still feel its more than that, maybe a control box issue or some engine faults that you guys had said but he played them off. Ok great get me a price. " ok I'll call you today" two days later I called back waited 5 hrs and another manager call me with 3 options. I took the cheapest as the other two involved another engine service which I had carried out a month or two ago. The price £543 inc vat. Ok a little pricey but if this solves the problem as the service manager had sold it to me great.

Took it out today for the first time since and it is worse that before. The head seems to be rpm much slower and it was bouncing and chocking on the smallest stuff. RAGING to say the least. Called the office they told me to bring it back in wasting more time and money.

My point with this whole deal is that they sold me the fact they would do their all to solve the issue and after convincing me that all it needed was a few parts that it would be solved. Why fill the world with bull to get some money. I want people to go the extra mile and look at all the options , calling the manufacture if needed. I may be small in relations to the council machinary they deal with but still this is very important to me. I will dump it back to them next week and demand their sc252.

I just feel they took the easy option that was sooo obvious fine but the machine is still not fixed.

Aaaaaaaaaaa shocking day.

Thanks for listening. Ha ha

Cheers