Stretch air Hi Vis Chainsaw trousers.

Dilz

Been looking at the Hi vis chainsaw trousers from Stretch air, useful, but some feed back would be cool,

also i noticed they do a class 2 protection (24mps chain speed) any one tried these? they sound like they would be a tad warm, but then i'm looking at another winter in scandinavia rail bashing spruce trees.....

Our chief must have bought a batch of them a while ago and now all the lads are cursing him (gratefully though for the free pants). A tad warm is an understatement. Also the material is not the same as the normal ones and not nearly as hard wearing. Have a pair 6 months old and will be lucky to get another 6 months out of them. Got nearly 2 years out of my old pair (normal grey ones).

I have to wear them company policy and thay are very short supply and my opinion is that there not a scratch on the standard stretch airs the material shows the dirty and thay deterate when wash regular the reflective bands fall off after about 8 weeks.

I am a big fan of stretch air kit but these hi-vis trousers are'nt there best.

If you are looking at buying your own trousers, stick with the stihl HiFlex and get yourself a couple of pairs of good reflective over trousers.

If you're working in Scandinavia heat won't be such an issue in the winter. The cheaper overtrousers will take most of the wear and tear. The chainsaw trousers will last much longer.

The principle reason for wearing hi-viz is that you need to be seen. 10 washes will see the effectiveness diminish considerably, and unless you're a dirty bastard, that means about 10 weeks. Much better to chuck a £10 pair of over trousers.

The hi vis isn't as yet compulsory, but the Traffivverket (government transport office) are running out of things to complain about so we are trying to pre-empt them. The new Sthil x-fit come with the reflective stripes, they are only Type a as far as i know, but again over here that isnt an issue. - i have been using type A since last november.

Hi-flex are solid, and thats a good point Jenks about the over trousers, there was a lad over here who wore some light weight combats over his trousers, he'd had them 2 years and they looked brand new,

The low temperature is only a problem when standing around, its surprising how quickly even in temperatures at -20c and below the body heats up and in these temperatures the last thing you need to do is start sweating.