Anyone Identify these

Ian150482

Found these growing half way up Beech tree.

Because Porcelain fungus, Oudemansiella mucida is only found in the presence of damaged or dead wood, I would suggest some determination for their presence is required. Beings as there is a road below and they are halfway up what appears to be a substantial tree, determining the extent of the damaged area in relation to the structure of the tree would be prudent.

Dave

Because Porcelain fungus, Oudemansiella mucida is only found in the presence of damaged or dead wood, I would suggest some determination for their presence is required. Beings as there is a road below and they are halfway up what appears to be a substantial tree, determining the extent of the damaged area in relation to the structure of the tree would be prudent.

Dave

I'm with D Mc here. Could there be a vertical fracture that's partly occluded below where these little blighters are fruiting?

As for eating them, they've always looked a bit slimy to me...

Google it Ian..there are common as.....plenty info out there.....What they are saying re deadwood habitat is fair in academic terms...read the detail and you will be moved to fell immediately!!! I jest...really. The fact that you were climbing the tree suggests that it was/appeared to be in good ish health....fair?

The fungus appears most usually on beech and dead wood additionally.

Inspect by all means....It would be prudent as was said especially if the site warrants concern as to duty of care....I concur....REMEMBER however......the fungi dont read the books......

Whilst their edibility is not in question, it remains a matter of taste....the gluten ( slime ) is not so easily washed......

Ian, I apologize if my post sounded alarmist. I didn't mean that. It was just a heads up.

The small portion of the tree I could see looked like the fungus was growing in a region below a large bark inclusion. And that some thoughts could be given to the possibility of a structural weakness in this area.

Whenever I see fruiting bodies while climbing I consider them and their variety in assessing the trees integrity.

Dave