Inonotus dryadeus

OK. not sure where the odds come from or whether they apply to other regions. The primary question is degree and progression of decay, and if a tool can measure this, assessment and monitoring is pretty straightforward.

That said, I'll look more for those mentioned, fbs or no.

the odds are just a silly figure to exemplify that it would be highly likely that its not just one decay organism at work. My point being that when evaluating the fungal strategies of wood decay. for example if you had a heart rotter like inonotus dryadeus, working alone with healthy tissue on the upper sides it would be a far less worrying scenario than if that same tree had a sapwood colonising fungi too, decaying from above while inotus meets it in the middle from below.

This is the scenario we see in the urban habitat, and it is identical to the scenario we see with heavy cattle presence. Mowers and cars do the same damage to the upper root surfaces as do cows and horses.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Quote : "Any documentation on the assessment of the (tree species specific) effects on the condition and stability of each of these Quercus species ? Attacking strategies, softrot and/or white rot ? Body language of the trees, bark and cambium necrosis ?" : butt rot

2. Quote : "Co-existence with Fistulina hepatica and/or Laetiporus sulphureus ?" : seldom other fb's or other signs/symptoms visible. one rotter is enough!

1. (Again) poorly documented and without valid assessment of the effects on the condition and stability of the trees, the type of woodrot and the body language of both the trees and the fungi.

2. And apart from the tree species specific Phellinus robustus and Daedalea quercina, one could add several other co-existing wood decaying parasitic and/or saprotrophic species to the list of macrofungi on older oaks.

1. (Again) poorly documented and without valid assessment of the effects on the condition and stability of the trees, the type of woodrot and the body language of both the trees and the fungi.

Inadequate so far, yes, that is why advanced assessment is specified.

2. And apart from the tree species specific Phellinus robustus and Daedalea quercina, one could add several other co-existing wood decaying parasitic and/or saprotrophic species to the list of macrofungi on older oaks.

Well i'll look for all that, but strength loss is what matters, so advanced assessment is specified.

Thanks for your kind words!

Inadequate so far, yes, that is why advanced assessment is specified.

Well i'll look for all that, but strength loss is what matters, so advanced assessment is specified.

If you really want to contribute to a better understanding of tree-fungus interactions and fungal invading and decaying strategies in trees, you will have to document your diagnosis and interpretation of "research" data at a much higher level of "advanced" assessment and can't confine to stating, that only "strength loss is what matters" without properly assessing what caused the strength loss in the first place.

If you really want to contribute to a better understanding of tree-fungus interactions and fungal invading and decaying strategies in trees, you will have to document your diagnosis and interpretation of "research" data at a much higher level of "advanced" assessment and can't confine to stating, that only "strength loss is what matters" without properly assessing what caused the strength loss in the first place.

I agree, strength loss from fungi is all down to strategy, and strategies are or can be very species dependant, look at the Ganodermas! to asses strength loss without strategy information is like having eggs without bacon!

Guy, some fungi/decay actually increases flexibility, what then?

will you asses the strength loss without a decent prognosis in the longer term?

" to asses strength loss without strategy information is like having eggs without bacon!"

not a bacon guy. I look fwd to more tomo experience asap... I should have said "wood loss"

"Guy, some fungi/decay actually increases flexibility, what then?"

Good question. depends on load, etc.

"will you asses the strength loss without a decent prognosis in the longer term? "

Another good question; of course prognosis leads to management options, so the better, the better. One plan is to re-tomo annually. I'll check back in after a revisit.

some fungi/decay actually increases flexibility, what then?" Good question. depends on load, etc.

Another good question : what species with what types of wood rot (temporarely) increase flexibility and what species with what types of woodrot (temporarely) change the T/R or slenderness ratio in what other way and with what consequences for your diagnosis of stability of the tree and your tree management options ?

Another good question : what species with what types of wood rot (temporarely) increase flexibility and what species with what types of woodrot (temporarely) change the T/R or slenderness ratio in what other way and with what consequences for your diagnosis of stability of the tree and your tree management options ?

White rot with selective delignification.

I have nothing to read on it thus far but apart from the obvious ones Im pretty sure this selective delignification is a very significant part of the strategy of inonotus cuticularis.

could you confirm or deny that for me Gerrit? Oh on beech i mean obviously!

1. White rot with selective delignification.

2. I'm pretty sure this selective delignification is a very significant part of the strategy of Inonotus cuticularis. On beech

Tony,

1. The question was meant for Guy and as your answer is incomplete, maybe he can elaborate on and add to it ?

2. No, I. cuticularis is a soft rotter of living tissue and a simultaneous white rotter of dead wood.