Bit of Help buying a new Silky

stubbsgardens

The choices I have narrowed myself down to are the :

Sugoi 360

Sugoi 420

Ibuki 390

I need one of these saws as I have been advised they are capable of cutting a 9 inch diameter trunk.

Will the 360 sugoi be enough for the job? and more of a stable saw due to its smaller length?

Should I go for the 420 sugoi over the Sugoi 360 simply because of the larger blade length or will the extra length make the saw weaker?

I may want to cut larger limbs in the future so should I straight away go for the 420 Sugoi?

Should I Just get the Ibuki as it has the blade length thats in the middle of the 420 and 360?

It's such a close range of saws and I havent the experience to decide. I would like a few opinions of which would be the best to purchase in the long run. I am self employed gardener so not really considering getting a Chainsaw license. I would love a reliable saw thats isnt going to snap and is still capable of cutting (hopefully like a hand chainsaw as the sugoi advertises lol)

Thanks

ive got the 360, cuts like a dream but be carefull not to catch your arm or hands with it...leaves a mess. but ye i personally wouldnt cut 9" because id be goin home with dead arm syndrome. its not really good for pruning work because of the big teeth so take that into consideration :001_cool:

Another thing, the sugoi can be a bit harsh for pruning smaller stuff. Had no problems with the longer one other than it can get caught a bit when climbing and pull itself out of the sheath by the handle. If you're not climbing much it wouldn't be an issue.

Get the Sugoi 420. As it sounds like you won't be using using it all day everyday the minor inconveniance of the bigger moves needed when pulling it out of the sheath won't be an issue. The Sugoi can be resharpend (though it's not that easy to get right to begin with) the Ibuki cannot.

The Silky saws wont snap unless you abuse the badly. They are designed to cut on the pull stroke so for it to snap you'd have to be able to pull a few tons I'd imagine.

The sugoi is a bit cheaper.

The Sugoi has more teeth than the Ibuki, resulting in a finer cut and it's easier on the old arms unless you're only using it near the bigger end of it's spectrum.

A word of warning that will echo with many on here though, the silky saws are superb tools but DANGEROUS!! All you need to do is brush past a bit of skin lightly and your working day is over as you'll be off to get some stitches.