Inonotus hispidus

Gollum

Bloomin 'eck Hama it would have been easier to spot the "Colonel" cowering defiantely in his underground bunker in Tripoli on Google Earth, then it was to "spot" the funghi in youir first photo.

Your second photo might have given some a better fighting chance! :sneaky2:

the sight you lot saw in the first image is all i got at first, it was a fair game, you lot had the advantage of not being in the driving seat nor having traffic and pedestrians to think about.

i dunno, pull your socks up:lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, hispidus on ash, risk quantification?

There are four trees all the same in this road side grouping, cleary the colonisation has been there for a decade or more (necroses evident=mid stage)

so likelihood of failure is the first port of call before factoring traffic/pedestrian volumes time period in risk zone.

A little reduction would go a long way there. I normally look above the bracket for crown condition and presence/absence of Daldinia etc before calling it. Again, gradual retrenchment is my usual call.

Scott,

Which IMO would be the logical thing to do with an ash invaded by I. hispidus.

Always tricky. Short of climbing up and Resisto-ing each limb, you just make a jusdgement based on experience and ideally, similar failures you've seen locally. An example being ash with I. hispidus which you see near me on Anglesey, where they fail more often that those I see elsewhere, probably due to extreme end of summer weather events. So on Anglesey, I'll score more "harshly" than I might elsewhere for the same host and specie combo.

As for tree risk assessment generally, I always look at target first, and then likelihood of failure. If there's no target, or an extremely intermittent target, I move on to the next tree.

and how about the rot of Hispidus, is it white rot? they say a soft rot possible? but where it is a cavity former i see a very brown decay? is this the result of the soft rot associated with hispidus, or is it preferential cellulose degredation hence the almost brown cubical character often seen in ash colonised within the ripewood regions

and how about the rot of Hispidus, is it white rot? they say a soft rot possible? but where it is a cavity former i see a very brown decay? is this the result of the soft rot associated with hispidus, or is it preferential cellulose degredation hence the almost brown cubical character often seen in ash colonised within the ripewood regions

As I mentioned earlier The decay of Inonotus hispidus has been classed as a white rot decay fungi, attacking cellulose and lignin at a similar rate,

With the location of your trees the risk of branch failure is to high.

so you should fell the complete tree and replant with Leyland-ii :lol:

As I mentioned earlier The decay of Inonotus hispidus has been classed as a white rot decay fungi, attacking cellulose and lignin at a similar rate,

With the location of your trees the risk of branch failure is to high.

so you should fell the complete tree and replant with Leyland-ii :lol:

Ive got every book on the subject, still dont explain the brown (albeit golden brown) cubical nature of the rot:confused1: