L200 gearbox change - any tips?

blazer

My 03 L200 has a noisy gearbox + no sync in 1st, so time to change it before winter.

I have had Cortina gearboxes out but not one as big as this, I have also ordered a transmission jack and borrowing a HD trolley jack, so any tips please.

Can I take the transfer box off first or is it best to drop the lot in one go?

many thanks in advance:thumbup1:

done loads of these you can take the transfer box out in place put you need to knock a rolepin out from the top its easier to take the hole lot out are you just changin the gearbox with a second hand one or recon? A tip for you change the spigot shaft bearing there a comon problem there are 3 differnt sizes 32mm 36mm i cant remember the other size if you get a second hand gearbox a pajero and shogun will fit but only the gearbox is the same the bellhousing is differnt and the transfer box is shorter but the gearbox is the same.o ye you will need a hand because there bloody heavy on your own if you need any more help let me know

Thanks Cosworth, is the spigot shaft bearing in the transfer box?

I recently changed the head with a blank from Milners, so decided to do the gearbox as well as Milners now have no return. Plan to do it over the bank hols.

Just looked up the 'spigot shaft bearing' on clutch end, will order one up. It's too much work to miss a small item. I have ordered up a Drager tranmission jack + borrow a HD 2 tonne jack, to make the job a bit safer and hopefully get better control on reassy.

are you changing the hole lot or just the gearbox?keeping your old transfer box?if you do the spigot bearing you will need either a slide hammer or you can fill the hole the spigot shaft goes in with grease and get a punch.or the clutch allining tool and hammer the centre with a chisel same size as the hole so the grease pushes the old bearing out if you know what i meen?and its best to drain the transfer box and gearbox first saves. getting coverd in oil.when you fill them up you will need 75/90 gear oil in both.

Just changing the gearbox as it's noisy in 2wd 1st gear and no sync in 1st and a bit clunky going into 2-3 rd. I can live with no sync in 1st but if the gearbox has been run low of oil in the past I get worried about a bearing cage breaking up - long way from home:001_huh:

I will buy a spigot bearing and try out your 'grease method' may try a rawlbolt as well on a slide, all good bankhol fun coming up:thumbup1:

From your tips I feel alot more confident taking on the job - many thanks for your time writing them down for me:thumbup:

The head went a couple of weeks ago only locally, which to me is good luck as I could slowly drive home. Again didn't fancy the job but sort of enjoyed doing it, I took the injectors apart as I only had a short socket but cleaned them up in solvent a few times then carefully re-assy them ok, all started up ok slight leak on 2 injectors as I was a bit reluctant to tighten any harder but with an bit extra they sealed up ok. I have only done say 15k since I brought it 2 yrs ago but changed the cam belts again, engine running well so decided to keep it and sort the gearbox.

overall the truck is a bit rough but with using it off road every week and with the 'gear' in the back my 2 working cockers ride in the cab, so there is no point in buying a smarted truck as after a week it will look like the old one.