Hello, newbie around here with a few questions...

_Karlos_

Hi

I have recently passed my CS30/31 and I am hoping I can make a bit of money as I have also invested in a new saw. Just a quick bit about myself, I am currently working in an office environment but desperate to get outdoors and I am also just coming to the end of a degree in conservation which I have been studying for in my spare time. Ideally I want to work on a nature reserve but those kind of jobs are very sought after and pay very low.

In the mean time I am hoping to maybe get some experience with a local arborist or similar, just to get the hell out of the office and get some experience.

Any advice would be most welcome, is the CS30/31 enough for me to get some work? I can't realistically do the climbing course until next year.

Oh and I'm 38 years old so no spring chicken, though I am very fit for my age :001_smile:

Anyone in East Yorkshire need a hand?!?!

Cheers

Karlos.

HiThere and welcome to the forum you have come to the right place . Your cs30/31 will get you started and will helpbto get your foot in the door . Keep your eyes open on here as there is allways other arbtalkers that are wanting groundies for a day or so .

If you can do as many little jobs for friends and family with you saw it will help build up your saw handling and cutting skills and will help you earn a bit of cash .

If you are determined it will pay off for you And you will get your foot in the door . I did. Volentering for a while and it really helped me in a big way .

It was the best move I ever made going into arb and I have never looked back

good luck and keep at it

All the best littletree :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have been doing all I can to be honest, been volunteering for the RSPB and a few other places.

Looks like I might get a bit of work soon with a local company, felling on a conservation project. Again, voluntarily unfortunately, but gotta get experience somewhere.

Cheers.

If you want to get into the conservation sector, voulenteer first, it really is the only way to get in, i did through school to avoid doing 5 days a week from 14 and had a job as soon as i left with the RSPB

so disagree,,i applied for a job in the guardian,and thought "somebody must get em" all be it having done a one yr national diploma,,,,sometimes try and ride your luck, volunteers take peoples real jobs,,whilst there on there £50k IT job,,,there volunteering weekends and hols,,,taking positions,local councils love,,,free labour,,,and whilst I acept voluntering gives you work experience,,it shouldnt become a career,,,,:sneaky2:

how do volunteers take real peoples jobs when they dont get paid!? imo they help the 'real people' by normally doing the crap jobs

if everybodys doing tree work voluntary,,,would you have a job???

(district councils train people before you try that angle) why offer a summer postion on lets say £5k when you can get somebody to do it for free?

if you`ve just spent 9k a yr studying countryside management and then find you cant get the 20-30k job you`d like because they have unlimited volunteers (who get (3k training),,,and because you have to volunteer first,? to get say job,,,,,thats why..work experience is fair play,,,retired people with an income taking newbies jobs is councils taking the p.ss