woodchip question.

Le Sanglier

Like many of you I sell woodchip, partly to get a few quid and also to get rid of what is a waste product.

I use it round my own garden as mulch and have seen a forest of mushrooms, many of which look rather less than friendly.

Seeing as many of the trees we take down are dead/diseased anyway and all the chip is mixed up, are we merely exporting trouble to our chip clients?

see where your comin from but most chip is given away for free so folk dont moan about a few shrooms here and there ,i do from time to time see spoors [spelling my be wrong] but i dont think that anything growing in the chip is of any great harm ,good post tho would be good to her any other comments as to the type of fungi and its good and bad points

Spores, of all sorts, are in the air around us all. Could it just be that moist chip provides an ideal host?

I spread a load of small thuja hedge trimmings in my yard a couple of months ago & last week a veritable mini forest of 'shrooms came through.

I think that if I have to take a tree down, folding it up on its own footprint is the best option, only chipping if I have to. I always try and encourage people to not be so tidy. make it a feature, and watch life flow from it.

If that isn't an option, spread it out! Sporulate and propagate!