Thinning Tips - put in your 10p's worth

Dr.Green

David Goss - where did you get those crazy looking long reach loppers/Secateurs from ? they look handy for those flimbsy outerparts

B%Q mate i think they were the best part of £100 but they are very good. The head can flip forward and backward and its also extendable, you can cut bits the full size of the jaw but beech and other hardwoods will take a lot of strength to cut at that size.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you must pull the yellow handle to close the jaw ? looks alot better than the 'string type JML' ones ive seen

never seen them in bnq , looks well handy for the outerspace thinning missions -

seen these , thou im sure it says the wiegh just over a kg

http://www.niwaki.com/store/ars-telescopic-pruner/

Edited by Dr.Green

I find the Wolfe garten ones great get the longer pole you wont go worn with them. Jonesie sells them at around 60-70 quid mine have been abused and still going strong. They also have loads of attachments you can buy there's a claw type thing for doing something with soil it's great for pulling deadwood branches out

so you must pull the yellow handle to close the jaw ? looks alot better than the 'string type JML' ones ive seen

never seen them in bnq , looks well handy for the outerspace thinning missions -

seen these , thou im sure it says the wiegh just over a kg

ARS Telescopic Pruner - Niwaki

yea you pull the orange handle to close the jaws but you can also pull the cord and there is a ball on the end just out of shot you can pull as well so even if you are at full stretch or very close you can always close the jaws.

fiskas or wilkinson sword pruners are the dongs nadgers, for tip thinning and reductions, the wilkinson ones are a bit tougher. dont be put of by the price, can be around 100 quid for the telescopic sets, mine have a 6.9 meter reach, and i love them, perfect for brining in tips, thining etc, only down side is they dont take very wide diameter branches but then if the branch is too think for them then you should be able to climb out no problem. I agree with a proper crown clean will open up the crown a lot. The illustrated guide to pruning is worth a look, although it deals a lot with nursery trees it has good pointers, and diagrams.

If you do a proper thin, you shouldnt really be able to tell you have been in the tree after you have finished unless you take before and after photos, same for an artful reduction. One boss told me to leave all the branches at the bottom of the tree till the customers sees it.

as for odd growing branches, the trees try and make the use of as much light as possible, and by removing to much you expose the trunk, which can lead to sun scorch and even encourage more epicormic growth. On tree where epicormic is natural leave a bit on, such as limes and oaks, remove all of a group but leave one for example.

Ive used the ones David is talking about it is a good idea and nice to use. Thefirm I used them at went through a lot of them but the lads might have been a bit rough with the gear

I broke a set once when i propped them up on the van and they fell over onto the concrete and snapped the plastic on the head but other than that they are pretty bomb proof and can cut biggish branches quite easily. Just like any bit of kit if you treat it well it will keep on working for you. I particularly like the fact you can adjust the angle of the jaws so much so you can even cut a branch from the side furthest from you if you know what i mean:confused1: you can cut round corners if thats any easier to understand :001_rolleyes: