A tree for the NHM

Will Hinchliffe

We just took down a big Oak in the middle of the woods for a very exciting new project. The oak was 200 years old and about 30m tall.

The tree is going to be cut into huge vertical cross sections and milled to 4mm thick then stuck to a aluminium board and hung in the Natural History Museum.

We left the tree as a standing trunk. Tomorrow the roots will be dug out and severed then the stem and roots winched over. A 4mm cross section of the roots will be included.

We had to lower and number everything that is to be included in the piece. Which was not a problem but we did have to step cut everything so minimum matarial was lost.

The project is the brain child of a lady called Tanya and she is working closely with a man called Mike. They were great to work with and I wish them the best luck with the rest of the project.

Sorry no photos I was climbing. It was however filmed by a professional crew for a video on the NHM website. I will post a link when it is up.

:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

I feel incredibly honoured to have been involved in it and cant wait to see it.

Does sound like a very interesting project, will pop down on the tube and give it a gander when it's in................

....................quess the bugs and fungi associated with 200 yrs of local ecology conditioning will have to go find another host to pester.

Does sound like a very interesting project, will pop down on the tube and give it a gander when it's in................

....................quess the bugs and fungi associated with 200 yrs of local ecology conditioning will have to go find another host to pester.

Probably wasnt considered - typical selfish outlook they have :mad1:

Probably wasnt considered - typical selfish outlook they have :mad1:

It should have some value though - it's going to be seen by a lot of people and depending on how it's set up - I imagine it should have some educational benefit / inspire people to take more of an interest in their natural heritage (or something).

Wheras where it was it probably went unnotcied.

It might seem an extreme way to make a point, but worse happens in the name of property development or health and safety.

It should have some value though - it's going to be seen by a lot of people and depending on how it's set up - I imagine it should have some educational benefit / inspire people to take more of an interest in their natural heritage (or something).

Wheras where it was it probably went unnotcied.

It might seem an extreme way to make a point, but worse happens in the name of property development or health and safety.

Why a 200 year old oak though, there are so many syc's they could have had and most people havent got a clue what one tree is from another....

A bit vague as far as name dropping goes dont you think?:001_tongue:

Yes I know I feel really bad that I don't know their second names. I wanted to make it known that other people were involved.

I personally have no problem with the removal of the tree. Lorry loads of oak go for timber and firewood from this woodland every year. Good woodland management has to maintain a diverse age structure. Continuous cover forestry requires that you create gaps to allow regeneration. If the tree had been a relic of the woodland that existed on the site before it was replanted in around 1800 it would be a different matter.