Sudden Euc Death

treeseer

To whoever is interested, I commend Guy's (TreeSeer)and my efforts to generate a movement that will hopefully create a collective human action to manage and hopefully suppress a fungal organism/s gone rouge.

As with all rouge pathogens the issue lies with an (altered) environment that favours the minority -the pathogen over the majority -the antagonists (from the pathogens perspective) or the beneficials (from a trees).

Like you Fungus I see harmony in the tree world as a result of working with the soil food web.

For the few of us in a position to take action in relation to this SE Qld epidemic we will achieve success by harmonious interaction.

I encourage you to take a leaf out of your own book and be like a mycorrhizae - supportive.

Cassian :thumbup:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To whoever is interested, I commend Guy's (TreeSeer) and my efforts to generate a movement that will hopefully create a collective human action to manage and hopefully suppress a fungal organism/s gone rouge. Like you Fungus I see harmony in the tree world as a result of working with the soil food web. For the few of us in a position to take action in relation to this SE Qld epidemic we will achieve success by harmonious interaction. I encourage you to take a leaf out of your own book and be like a mycorrhizae - supportive.

Cassian,

Among many other things concerning the content of TreeSeer's posts, this selective answer to my questions is what definitively holds me back from re-entering and being "supportive" to this topic.

Edited by Fungus

"make very thin sliced sections suited for at least 1.000 times magnification, to stain or test them with the proper chemicals or reagens and knows what to look for in the preparations (septum, clamp connection, thin or thick walled hyphae, monomitic or dimitic hyphal systems, incrustration, etc.)"

We've excised Gerrit's constructive advice and will follow it. We may have a microtome available, and have ordered the proper stains. We know enough to look for septa and the wall thickness of hyphae. I only have 2 pathology courses and some related graduate work (one peer-reviewed bit of a lit review attached from ~10 years ago), but i acknowledge that I am nearly as incompetent at this as has been suggested.

If a skilled mycologist with macrofungal experience was in Queensland, I would be knocking at her door and offering my firstborn to take this over; but then at 22 he is quite a handful! :laugh1: and may not go along with the deal. I still hope for other constructive advice from other contributors, as I know there are many experienced in this field who might be willing to guide our efforts.

The teleomorph that we all thought was K deusta was seemingly spent and yielded no visible spores, and K deusta seems to be secondary, so I shan't embarass myself any more by posting that trash. We will post our best efforts, in hopes of cooperation. Thanks to all.

Keep at it fella, its all we can do, and hope that we learn the right way in making mistakes along the way:thumbup1:

Among many other things concerning the content of TreeSeer's posts, this selective answer to my questions is what definitively holds me back from re-entering and being "supportive" to this topic.

Cassian,

With Guy leaving for New Zealand, I'm re-entering this thread and am again available for "armchair" consultation. Can you answer this before asked question for me first ?

I think the link with K. deusta needs more consideration, as does the link to the byways/utilities proximity.

Cassian, get your hands on a copy of Shwarzes book the diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in Urban trees, if only for the microscopy information therein, it will get you on the road somewhat.

maybe worth also getting your hands on a fungal biology book.

1. I think the link with K. deusta needs more consideration, as does the link to the byways/utilities proximity.

2. a copy of Schwarzes book the diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in Urban trees, if only for the microscopy information therein, it will get you on the road somewhat.

1. Agreed, especially because no ascospores were found in the teleomorph, which is rather odd, because if present, they are hard to overlook, as they are dark brown, ellipsoid, have a split to one side and are 32-33 x 7-8 µm.

2. First try to get a copy of K. Weber & C. Mattheck (2001). Taschenbuch der Holzfäulen in Baum.