Bat 'nesting season'?

czhey

I have to remove a very dead tree covered in ivy.

I don't think it would be possible to properly check it for bats before removal, so is there a 'safe' time of year where I can assume there are no bats in there :confused1:

Thanks

I was reading up on this recently.. no expert or arb by any means.. but my interpretation is that if the tree poses a danger then it can come down...if possible leave it until end of bat breeding season and perhaps cover yourself by discussing with Conservation +/- the derogation licence..

Presumably if an immediate danger and you are happy to state that then you get on with it

Bat don't "nest".

They "roost" and have "nursery roost's" for rearing young.

If you think there is a real chance the tree is being used by bats you need to get it checked by an expert.

They will come at dusk and check for bats leaving the tree.

Bat don't "nest".

They "roost" and have "nursery roost's" for rearing young.

If you think there is a real chance the tree is being used by bats you need to get it checked by an expert.

They will come at dusk and check for bats leaving the tree.

Sorry yes roost :blushing:

The point I am trying to make is the tree can wait a couple of months if this means there is 0 chance of disturbing our little friends :001_smile:

Tony- it's the dead ivy covered oak at my yard if you remember it? Fancy a climb :001_tt2:

czhey

There is no safe time to remove a tree with potential to be a bat roost - although I think you'll be covered if the tree is about to collapse immediately. Apart from maternity roosts as mentioned before, bats also use trees to hide in during the day, and some bats will return to a tree to eat their catches. Also, bats use different trees during different parts of the day - or may use them days apart, so although you may not notice a bat going in or out on a particular day doesn't necessarily mean that the tree is not is use.

Waiting a couple of months will bring you into hibernation period - and then you'll be really buggered. You may want to contact your local bat group, who I am sure, will be more than happy to carry out a free/low-cost initial night-time survey using bat detectors and monitoring the tree. They can also offer you the best advice if bats are using the tree.

Thanks,

Tony, I didn't think so, just thought it would be near impossible to check an ivy covered tree like that. I might see if it can be left as a monolith anyway, leavin the ivy covered part standing?