MB Trac harvesting head

Float

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't depend on the information for a 'WF trac' machine being equivalent to any 'MB trac' machines, given that it's a totally separate company and different production timeline, etc.

From pics and videos I've seen, it appears WF took over production of the MB trac after Mercedes-Benz stopped production but aside from the chassis and cab, I don't know how many parts were also continued in production; i.e. engine, gearbox et al - they may have literally taken over the production line 'as is' or they may have changed parts like gear-boxes and hydraulic pumps to be better suited to the forestry industry requirements and/or their own implements.

And anyway, my speculation and conjecture above only applies to the WF tracs produced in the few years immediately after taking over the production - later models may have been completely changed by WF and I imagine any models produced within the last 10 years or so might not bear any true resemblance to the original MB tracs.....

Having said all that, I actually have a couple of useful books (owner's/maintenance manuals, etc) and data sheets for various MB tracs so if anybody needs anything for a specific MB trac model, let me know the model and year, etc, and I'll see if I can root it out!

Has anyone ever put a small harvester head on a crane on an MB Trac? Any idea what the hyraulic oil flow is on a MB 1300 turbo?

No but nearly. Didn't think the MB trac was the right base unit and the one i could afford wasn't powerful enough. As for oil i'd of figure that with a crane even with an aux tank and pto pump you'd be a bit short with oil and pressure. I'd also think that you'd have issues cooling the oil too.

Fixing any head to any machine is mainly about the hydraulic oil flow,(litres per minute), in this case i'd go for one of the smaller Keto's, the Keto are known to require little oil flow incomparrison with other heads, also something light is easier to manouvre and won't make the base unit unstable.

But be warned fitting heads is an expensive business.

You need a pump on the pto or weld a pto onto the crank and put it there. The pumps in the back end of even big tractors dont give enough flow even to move the crane with enough speed when you get good at using it, especially with electronic controls working a parallel crane.