Beech Stem

robb

Jonathan its 12' around the tree so about 3.5' approx dia

Now I'm being blonde! :blushing:

That is a nice stem as it happens. Even so, it's just a shame that so few furniture makers have any interest in building with it. The last chap to buy any beech off me just wanted it for a workbench for his workshop.

Nevertheless, I would say it's still better to mill it than ring it up. Big beech has been a pig for me to split in the past, and I think it would be a shame to ring it. Just about handleable for a bigger woodmizer and it should yield 180 cubic foot of boards.

If you were local Robb, I'd offer you about £400-450 for that log delivered to my yard, if you are wanting an idea on pricing.

Jonathan

You tight buggers!

A tonne is roughly 27 hoppus foot, which equates to that stick being about 6 to 7 tonne. £450 is only about £60-65 a tonne which for a sawlog of quality is pretty damned cheap (only a bit more than cordwood). Especially considering you should be able to get at least £12 a cubic foot for it green, meaning £1500 profit for a days wood mizering!

Just my 2 cents!

Jonathan

You tight buggers!

A tonne is roughly 27 hoppus foot, which equates to that stick being about 6 to 7 tonne. £450 is only about £60-65 a tonne which for a sawlog of quality is pretty damned cheap (only a bit more than cordwood). Especially considering you should be able to get at least £12 a cubic foot for it green, meaning £1500 profit for a days wood mizering!

Just my 2 cents!

Jonathan

£60-£65 per tonne is nearly double the price of cordwood around here.

Big-j, Nobody will touch beech down here. I dont know of another mill that buys it, or is able to sell it on anything like a regular basis, and the one mill that used to do a fair bit in devon gave up a few years ago, citing lack of demand and the fact that everything wants to eat it whilst it dries as being the main two reasons. I have sat on stunning beech boards for years trying to flog them to almost anyone who came into the yard....to no avail. They all have this idea that it is just too plain....most wouldnt even look at it to be educated!!!

Big-j, Nobody will touch beech down here. I dont know of another mill that buys it, or is able to sell it on anything like a regular basis, and the one mill that used to do a fair bit in devon gave up a few years ago, citing lack of demand and the fact that everything wants to eat it whilst it dries as being the main two reasons. I have sat on stunning beech boards for years trying to flog them to almost anyone who came into the yard....to no avail. They all have this idea that it is just too plain....most wouldnt even look at it to be educated!!!

It's depressing really isn't it?! :confused1:

You often get some of the straightest, cleanest stems in beech and it's a good timber to machine and work with. I had some issues drying it when I started, but later lots have been better with application of borate.

It's jobs like kitchens, libraries, bookcases etc that beech is perfect for. We need to try to push it as it's easier to dry than bloody oak and certainly easier to find better quality sticks.

Eggsrascal - you have a cheap supply of cord!

It's depressing really isn't it?! :confused1:

You often get some of the straightest, cleanest stems in beech and it's a good timber to machine and work with. I had some issues drying it when I started, but later lots have been better with application of borate.

It's jobs like kitchens, libraries, bookcases etc that beech is perfect for. We need to try to push it as it's easier to dry than bloody oak and certainly easier to find better quality sticks.

Eggsrascal - you have a cheap supply of cord!

Hi Big J, were paying £35 per tonne roadside at the moment, if we were paying any more i don't think there would be any money in firewood.