Bracken spraying advice needed

The idea of bruising is very interesting. I drove a quad across and back along the same path through the young bracken (12" max) and it didnt grow that year, and took 3-4 years to grow to the same height as 'its peers', ie the path (previously un-ridden) was visible in the summer for 3-4 years. (It must be the thundery weather making my writing so clumsy:blushing::blushing:)

Cattle sparsley applied in spring works very well too. Better make sure theres no good flowers tho!)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for all the info boys.

Plan is to get trees in the ground on the site next year, so as much as i'd like to run cattle followed by pigs on it, it's not going to happen. Crushing with a roller out due to the planting plan/timescale too.

Helicopter's out as the site is just accross the road from a bog which is a SSSI, the site itself is known for Pearl Bordered Fritillary (butterfly) and has a pretty interesting wildflower understorey too, dog violet, bluebell, primrose, bugle, etc, so burning's out too. Too steep, rocky, stumpy for a quad to manage.

Matt: could've/maybe should've subbed it, but the site's just along the road and I want to maximise the profit on it, ie do it myself. I've got the tree planting contract for the site next year too (only 3500) and was concerned that if a subby didn't deliver on time it'd throw the schedule out for that too.

Wish me luck - i'm going in!!

Cheers for all the info boys.

Plan is to get trees in the ground on the site next year, so as much as i'd like to run cattle followed by pigs on it, it's not going to happen. Crushing with a roller out due to the planting plan/timescale too.

Helicopter's out as the site is just accross the road from a bog which is a SSSI, the site itself is known for Pearl Bordered Fritillary (butterfly) and has a pretty interesting wildflower understorey too, dog violet, bluebell, primrose, bugle, etc, so burning's out too. Too steep, rocky, stumpy for a quad to manage.

Matt: could've/maybe should've subbed it, but the site's just along the road and I want to maximise the profit on it, ie do it myself. I've got the tree planting contract for the site next year too (only 3500) and was concerned that if a subby didn't deliver on time it'd throw the schedule out for that too.

Wish me luck - i'm going in!!

I'd seriously recommend brush cutting before spraying then mate, it will make your latter planting plans so much smoother if you cut and then spray the re-emergence..

Good luck!!!!!

Is it not too late now to brushcut AND spray this year though Matt?

Surely there wouldn't be enough time for the fronds to re-emerge after cutting? Would they be able to get big enough to spray before becoming senescent?

Have just sprayed about a hectare on similar ground for some friends and it was damn near impossible!

Edited by blue beastie

We've done a bit of bracken before, and opted to get suited a booted and strim the whole lot first with a blade on a brush cutter and spray the re-emergence as it was easier going

What time of year did you brushcut it and how long did you wait before spraying the re-emergence?

Is it not too late now to brushcut AND spray this year though Matt?

Surely there wouldn't be enough time for the fronds to re-emerge after cutting? Would they be able to get big enough to spray before becoming senescent?

Have just sprayed about a hectare on similar ground for some friends and it was damn near impossible!

I guess it's getting a wee bit late in the season now but if you get it cut sharpish and then wait two or three weeks for the re-emergence and then spray. It will at least make a good job of killing off the bracken for the coming year. You might get away with spraying the fronds with round up too if they're nice and small and succulent.

Where is the site??

I wonder if we could be of any assistance... Let me know if you need a hand.

After 2 days going round in circles with the Micron Ulva+ on another site i've got a mistblower on hire as of tomorrow - problem solved hopefully.

I don't think there's enough of the growing season left to brushcut and spray, so thanks for the offer of extra hands but I should be ok I think.

For future reference and potential beerage though i'm about an hour North of Inverness near Bonar Bridge :thumbup1:

Know it well. Some of my guys are on a saw course at invershin next week actually.

I was up your way a couple of times last month to do a sidings clearance at Lairg and a Wayleave clearance at culrain, will give you a shout next time we're up... We were staying at the invershin hotel.

You have a PM.