Skin irritation / rash - Bracken

blue beastie

you can now get canestan hc from a pharmacist (think it used to be prescription only). Very good on rash/heat rash types but dont use on open sores. If things persist I wouldnt wait too long before seeking pro medical advice.

As far as bracken goes I wont go near the stuff. Thought they were trying to bring in chemical only control to reduce health related risk associated with it?

hey, i read this post while trying to find out about rashes caused by bracken (or ferns)

i went biking in some woods about 3 weeks back now, and rode down a path with bracken overgrowing onto it, a couple days later i had the same symtoms on the backs of my hands, and for the first week, it itched like hell!! Now, its not really itchy at all, but has spread to my belly and my legs a little... ive been usin various stuff but nothing seems to be making it go away, ive used aloe vera the last couple of days, but im not sure a lot is happening.... how long did yours last? and did it spread like that?

any help would be sound. thanks

Sorry, only just saw your post!

Mine didn't spread at all no but the visible signs of the rash did last about a month. Strangely though it stopped itching about a week before it cleared up.

Sounds like you need a trip to the doc!

Sounds a bit like contact dermatitis (rash with tiny weeping pustules, and an itchiness to drive you mad).

If so HC45 from the chemist helps a lot, but Eumovate Cream is more powerful (pharmacy only). Eumovate is a topical steroid/hydorcortizone and should not be used on on open cuts etc since it will stop the healing. If it is an allergic dermatitis type reaction it will ususally clear it up quickly.

If in doubt, pay a visit to your GP.