Walnut health issue

bggc

Be a massive amount to cut off that tree then. Might imbalance it but then again if most of the weight is going towards the house then if the weight is taken off to the point of the boundary then it may get the tree to rebalance.

yes, what would be left of it! tricky one.

That's interesting, i would'nt say we've had a wet spring though, the summer has been reasonably dry too until very recently. Sorry can't answer your drugs question although im sure someone on here will.

..It started just after the mildew on the gooseberries (sign of recent rain)...south here that was after the dry spell broke with a week of rain...

Firstly I would not recommend taking any large limbs off walnut... They are very poor at compartmentalising wounds bigger than 9". Common walnut is pretty susceptible to honey fungus I am monitoring a big one at the moment that we had to prune really hard to avoid the tree failing.... I don't have much hope it will survive though..! Previously I have identified blight and galls for deforming leafs and the first turning them black... Pick up all fallen leafs and burn.

We Have done a lot of of reductions on walnuts the key is minimalistic ,a good arborist should get a feel for your tree leave it looking natural whilst significantly reducing wind sail to reduce the chance of failure... Also if the tree has twin stems or included bark it may worth installing a cobra bracing system, have had to fell many walnuts that have split in half or shed big limbs.... Some pics would be good!

Firstly I would not recommend taking any large limbs off walnut... They are very poor at compartmentalising wounds bigger than 9". Common walnut is pretty susceptible to honey fungus I am monitoring a big one at the moment that we had to prune really hard to avoid the tree failing.... I don't have much hope it will survive though..! Previously I have identified blight and galls for deforming leafs and the first turning them black... Pick up all fallen leafs and burn.

We Have done a lot of of reductions on walnuts the key is minimalistic ,a good arborist should get a feel for your tree leave it looking natural whilst significantly reducing wind sail to reduce the chance of failure... Also if the tree has twin stems or included bark it may worth installing a cobra bracing system, have had to fell many walnuts that have split in half or shed big limbs.... Some pics would be good!

Thanks for all the replies folks. MattyF, i'll do my best to get some pics posted if possible, there are blister galls on some leaves, i'v had a read up on them and in most cases it seems that they "are'nt known to cause harm to the host tree although sometimes sufficiently abundant to be disfiguring", (this being the main reason why i did'nt mention it in my original post) "unless on Prunus where they are caused by the fungus Taphrina". Pardon me for using quotations as i'm not as well educated in this field as some of the guys on here, but i'm trying to learn.

• 1 month later...
Might be worth them having a few words with the neighbour asking if it is ok for a tree surgeon to remove the branches that are coming over the boundary. Sound drastic but would be best way of almost eliminating the risk. How big is said Walnut?

Based on the info at this point thats a pretty drastic assessment of the trees needs!

I'd say the majority of the tree crosses the boundary,at least from about 8 or 9 ft high, the tree is approx 25-30 ft high.

This gives your client/friend the rights they need to carry out work to the tree, they basicaly own the crown of it. As long as you can accses the tree from your side no issues.

05.jpg

Area of decay 5' up from ground level.

O.k so sorry for missing this one in the first instance, took me a while to find it but here we are at last:thumbup1:

Your walnut is in rude health, besides a little drought stress and the bark damage. I would look to remove the ivy for the first instance, this will become a serious problem later for a walnut and add to the burden on shallow tension roots. Your right walnuts do tend to shift and lean, tis part of their natures.

I do not have the scene nor tree in front of me, and have no direct visuals so i can only go on what I see and my gut. This of course makes any assesment prone to faults.

I have a few questions-

is the bark scar mechanical or fire induced?

is the root ball this side of that wall or tuther and growing through a gap in the wall?

what is the current health of remaining trees close by, are there any dead dying or obvious trees close by?

Is the black slime limited to the area of bark origionaly damaged/ (I suspect yes, the phloem within the bark rots to a black slime whenever there is dysfunction, this will have a fine fiber like material blackened within the slippery black slime) Do not be concerned this area will have occluding tissues eventualy and these occlusions will tell you much about the health and vitality of the tree to overcome the short term issues/damage.

Sorry it took me so long to find you!:001_smile:

Based on the info at this point thats a pretty drastic assessment of the trees needs!

This gives your client/friend the rights they need to carry out work to the tree, they basicaly own the crown of it. As long as you can accses the tree from your side no issues.

05.jpg

Area of decay 5' up from ground level.

O.k so sorry for missing this one in the first instance, took me a while to find it but here we are at last:thumbup1:

Your walnut is in rude health, besides a little drought stress and the bark damage. I would look to remove the ivy for the first instance, this will become a serious problem later for a walnut and add to the burden on shallow tension roots. Your right walnuts do tend to shift and lean, tis part of their natures.

I do not have the scene nor tree in front of me, and have no direct visuals so i can only go on what I see and my gut. This of course makes any assesment prone to faults.

I have a few questions-

is the bark scar mechanical or fire induced?

is the root ball this side of that wall or tuther and growing through a gap in the wall?

what is the current health of remaining trees close by, are there any dead dying or obvious trees close by?

Is the black slime limited to the area of bark origionaly damaged/ (I suspect yes, the phloem within the bark rots to a black slime whenever there is dysfunction, this will have a fine fiber like material blackened within the slippery black slime) Do not be concerned this area will have occluding tissues eventualy and these occlusions will tell you much about the health and vitality of the tree to overcome the short term issues/damage.

Sorry it took me so long to find you!:001_smile:

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it

sorry i'm late getting back to you i'v been very busy. I suspect the answer to your first question is unknown but i'll try and get confirmation. The second question i can answer, the root ball is definately the other side of the fence. In answer to your third question,the surrounding trees do seem to be normal and healthy, there are several clustered together where the ends of a few gardens all culminate,other than a bit of sparse foliage where they are touching and keeping the light from eachother the outers look normal, although i will take a second look. The final question you've pretty much answered already, yes the black slime is only limited to the damaged bark area.