How Green?

pgkevet

Hiya

I often carve very green wood, I remove as much wood as I can in the first session and then place the chips and whatever I am carving into a plastic bag and leave it somewhere cool.

If It is going to be a while between session one and two I place the bag in the fridge much to my wifes annoyance.

HTH

Mark

I can relate to that!

Wife once thawed the sunday joint to find it was a very large Monitor Lizard I'd been keeping for the zoo:biggrin:

Hiya

I can relate to that!

Wife once thawed the sunday joint to find it was a very large Monitor Lizard I'd been keeping for the zoo:biggrin:

Fantastic, I can use you as a "worse than me" example :thumbup1:

When I was clearing out my dads house, I found a badger in the freezer! :001_rolleyes: I think a Monitor lizard is cooler tho:thumbup1:

Badgers will get anywhere!

Quick Badger story:

I cam back from holiday to find a Badger cub needing it's leg fixing and my staff had arranged for me to do it with a TV crew filming for a kids programme! Jeez, nowt like a bit of warning..

So we knocked it out and started cleaning it up.. took 45 mins to get all the parasites off it and shaved and clean enough.

I'm scrubbed in and about to start cutting when nurse in charge of anaesthesia whispers she's worried about it's breathing.

I'm checking it over to see how best to help it when the TV Producers voice booms out loud and dramatic "Is it going to be OK Mr K"

Now frankly that wasn't the time for that and I don't take cr@p. So i stared straight into the camera and said:

"It's a win-win situation. It makes it and I'm a hero. Or I get a new shaving brush"

The producer called 'cut' and they left...:001_smile:

Betty the badger was fine:

badgerbaby5.jpg.html

Badgers will get anywhere!

Quick Badger story:

I cam back from holiday to find a Badger cub needing it's leg fixing and my staff had arranged for me to do it with a TV crew filming for a kids programme! Jeez, nowt like a bit of warning..

So we knocked it out and started cleaning it up.. took 45 mins to get all the parasites off it and shaved and clean enough.

I'm scrubbed in and about to start cutting when nurse in charge of anaesthesia whispers she's worried about it's breathing.

I'm checking it over to see how best to help it when the TV Producers voice booms out loud and dramatic "Is it going to be OK Mr K"

Now frankly that wasn't the time for that and I don't take cr@p. So i stared straight into the camera and said:

"It's a win-win situation. It makes it and I'm a hero. Or I get a new shaving brush"

The producer called 'cut' and they left...:001_smile:

Betty the badger was fine:

badgerbaby5.jpg.html

:lol:

I can relate to that!

Did it taste like chicken? I freeze meat I shoot in bread bags - so the venison for our dinner turned out to be 2 rabbits and another time the dogs ended up with pheasant breasts.

Back to the wood - I have done quite a bit with green wood and found it will work ok if part dried and with oak will tighten up so won't split so easy. Plus if you look at old wooden building they have less drying 'shakes' than new buildings. Joints will tighten but not even eg; a chair leg hole drilled when green will dry oval and a mortice shoulder type joint with shrink opening it up. I made a cherry dining set 4 chairs and a table (all green wood I felled by axe except the top old air dried planks) I split the wood in 4 left it for say 6 months in the shade then worked it left it again then did the joints.

You should get this bit, I work in a hospital and from watching leg ops used a simular technique - with the legs being a bit bent and not round I fitted a small strip of wood to the end of the leg and used it as a reference to drill out the holes then turned it 90 degrees to drill the other holes - so all the mortice holes were exactly at 90 deg to each other.

Try a few joints etc with different woods at different dryness, ash when part dry goes into what I call the 'pink phase' where when cut goes pink but will still work ok as green wood.

I will try and get some pictures up of my 'Saxon summer house' I built a few yrs ago. all with axes, adzes etc. I have pit saws, all the gear but it bl**dy hard work with big wood by hand.

Talking wood to a small man once who told me he made a new mast for his boat, thinking it was only a 'Mirror dinghy' but out of politeness asked him how long was his little mast? 30 metres he replied - that put me in my place.:blushing:

Edited by blazer

Thanks for the additional comments.. all good stuff to think about.

It'd be nice to use own timber but reality is that if this buy comes off then there's too much to be done too quickly to be able to 'play' at it. That's not derogatory. I fully approve but I'm going to have to get a couple of decent sized insulated sheds up fairly quickly because the one really good barn is ear-marked for big stuff and too large to heat and the house isn't big enough for my other toys indoors (i have my own hobby room plus my own office here where I am now and a garage workshop) - and a lot of preparatory stuff to get done outdoors preparing orchards and growing areas and putting up glasshouses..

The monitor lizard went for research at London Zoo..swapped for a free entry for the family (well - more a case of go in through the research building and out their back door)

The monitor lizard went for research at London Zoo..swapped for a free entry for the family (well - more a case of go in through the research building and out their back door)

reminds me of an ex sas mate who recieved a VIP invite back, said it came down to they bring you a cup of tea instead of fetching your own cup.