Maturing Inonotus hispidus brackets

David Humphries

Always wanted to see those Planes. Only 15 miles down the road and haven't done so yet.

One should make it so, they are (particularly the one planted in the late seventeenth century) fantastic trees.

Private land, and I think in the middle of being sold. Hope the new owners know the true value of what they're getting.

DSC00638.jpg.917598a1bf82d69ba5331ddf9d578be1.jpg

DSC00650.jpg.ed60e7ccf8d2571fd9ddeea3ec14b7f4.jpg

DSC00637.JPG.f69033eb5531e03a31e87847009dda45.JPG

DSC00634.jpg.63ee72ea2d629e4fea14be94758a3093.jpg

DSC00643.JPG.84eb5cdb5983cbc429a923e177fa4745.JPG

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow David. What a spectacular tree!

I too hope they know what they are inheriting.

It looks mostly untouched from your pic's.

Some interesting language from her too.

Hey Dan !

Some old bracing & lower scafold pruning wounds & various deadwooding, but largely unworked.

I didn't note any hispidus fruiting from this particular tree, but would be suprised if there was no evidence of it somewhere throughout its framework.

Basal body language may suggest a number of candidates.

DSC00649.jpg.f64ee4f2af06dece1d2c06a5c6e711bf.jpg

DSC00648.JPG.aa3b5c601d01287789ad5b65b7002be6.JPG

Not quite the hawk eye I thought I had eh, lol.

Loving her sagging lower regions. Something she may have in common with lizzy (oh err sorry mrs)

Is this type of growth typical of hispidus? I have seen it on branch work of Ash & walnut before the presence of the fruiting body's. Or is this a symptom of weight stress on a potentially weakened trunk due to decay?

Loving her sagging lower regions. Something she may have in common with lizzy (oh err sorry mrs)

Is this type of growth typical of hispidus? I have seen it on branch work of Ash & walnut before the presence of the fruiting body's. Or is this a symptom of weight stress on a potentially weakened trunk due to decay?

Careful, you never know whos looking over the shoulder :biggrin:

I wouldn't of thought that the lower language is associated with hispidus on this particular tree.

I'd love to have the oportunity to study it over regular visits, don't think that is an option sadly.

You never know David, I expect if the new owners may need some views of the trees future & a c,o,l card or two through the door may get em thinking:001_smile:

I'm up at Barchams at the mo doing a TreeLife thing, I'm going to try & get the tutor (or myself) to arrange a visit hopefully. Never tire of seeing such great trees. :thumbup1:

have you caught the BB threads I've recently put up, have you worked any of those pollards in the past Dan ?

I'm up at Barchams at the mo doing a TreeLife thing, I'm going to try & get the tutor (or myself) to arrange a visit hopefully. Never tire of seeing such great trees. :thumbup1:

have you caught the BB threads I've recently put up, have you worked any of those pollards in the past Dan ?

Hope you get your visit David. A truly top tree to have another look at (& maybe a climb, in the interest of interest of course) A great find.

I will look at the BB threads presently. I may have worked on them & am sure their will be a paper trail linking me if I have (oh errr) Have missed out this year on the vet pollard work much to my disappointment. At least I can still go & visit though.

Have missed out this year on the vet pollard work much to my disappointment. At least I can still go & visit though.

Had heard that contracting work had been reduced (sorry to hear that).

I think our own little annual visit is just a bonus to the local work program rather than a reason for any change in policy.

Great place to visit at any time, for sure :thumbup1: