What sort of reduction to carry out

Danavan

I was called on to go & carry out a climbing inspection on a lovely cedar today.

She shed a co dom stem yesterday in a school field.

On inspection I found that the main stem to contain a pocket of rot going down for aprox 80cm down. Arial rooting was present around the site of the wound left by the stem failure.

I found myself thinking that a reduction of the remaining limbs & removal of the top two limbs in order to relive weight leaver on the stem with rot present, also to make the tree more ascetically pleasing.

Apologies for lack of articulate wording in account of findings.

Hope the pics help with any ideas.

What are thoughts on this course of action please?

59765b800c4ec_climbinspectcedarwycabby(4).jpg.4881d71c8a17c5ef03c2fe11e03d9ed1.jpg

59765b800a029_climbinspectcedarwycabby(6).jpg.1189340d4e8f7ca5ea8c7c8d552a8831.jpg

59765b8007b78_climbinspectcedarwycabby(13).jpg.12183fcc1161ae24e99926ca57c8d688.jpg

59765b8003916_climbinspectcedarwycabby(10).jpg.fa156c3e437ad854703acb4696e05e78.jpg

59765b7ff2c3d_climbinspectcedarwycabby(8).jpg.997e75a7dc6fe63ab180b595d8539d45.jpg

looking at those arial roots the decay has been active for quite some time. From what I can see I would reduce and thin the upper canopy by 20-25% leaf area. Most likely reducing the lower branches less due to reduced leverage. Persuading the park managers to only mow the grass anually beneath the canopy would reduce the likelyhood of people sitting or hanging around beneath the tree in fine weather, reducing the risk of harm if the whole top goes. Im sure you'll get other opinions to think about.

Looking at the limb directly under the cavity, I would say reduce that as much as possible, you even may think about taking it off completely, it looks from the picture as the most urgent part in need of attention. The rest above the cavity wouldnt hurt to do a 25% reduction of the sail imo

Looking at the limb directly under the cavity, I would say reduce that as much as possible, you even may think about taking it off completely, it looks from the picture as the most urgent part in need of attention. The rest above the cavity wouldnt hurt to do a 25% reduction of the sail imo

Thanks for your suggestions David . Yea the limb under the cavity will have to have a good lot removed as most of the end was badly damaged from the stem failure.

Only reason to keep the little growth that would be left is purely atheistic. I think it will support the remaining weight.

25% of the rest is the sort of % I have not been to sure on.

Do you think that maybe 15% & removal of a couple of higher limbs entirely is to much (again for atheistic reasons) as it is a prominent feature tree.

looking at those arial roots the decay has been active for quite some time. From what I can see I would reduce and thin the upper canopy by 20-25% leaf area. Most likely reducing the lower branches less due to reduced leverage. Persuading the park managers to only mow the grass anually beneath the canopy would reduce the likelyhood of people sitting or hanging around beneath the tree in fine weather, reducing the risk of harm if the whole top goes. Im sure you'll get other opinions to think about.

Cheers gibbon.

It is in a school grounds & kids are about & sit under it all the time I hear from the custodians. I think an exclusion area would be a great idea & long grass is a great not in ya face way of going about it. Thanks for the suggestion.